Like Tree33Likes

Where to live in HK?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Where to live in HK?

Hi,

I'm moving to HK in 3 weeks time to start work as a teacher in a school in Kowloon. As yet I still have no idea where to live and would love advice.

My initial choices were Sai Kung but I don't drive and was informed this was not a wise choice without a car.
    The second option I was given was Discovery Bay but so far mixed reviews.

I'm a 30 year old female moving out by myself from the UK, London (no kids, no pets) so conscious of the rental prices in HK for a one bedroom flat (I don't make for a very good flatmate).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

do you require a place with higher proportionally expat within a demographic area?

No kids, no pets - the obvious choice would be:
    a) near work
    b) near nightlife
    c) near nature/outdoors
    What do you like to do in your spare time? Try staying close to it and your work to minimize your commute...

Why would a single person working in Kowloon want to live in DB? It would not be anywhere near the top of my list.

Where in Kowloon?

Nobody can answer until you give us that.

What is your budget?

I'm guessing you need/want to spend less than 15k.

That's something else we need to know!

Last edited by INXS; 09-07-2013 at 08:12 AM.
    Football16 and chingleutsch like this.

on paper young, single, free - we were all like that once so enjoy it

HK island -North Point to Sheung wan, near an MTR ( you will already be familiar with navigating the underground)Actually anywhere along the island line is fine.

Inner Kowloon - Mongkok to TST

Of course your budget and school location and your personal tolerance for city vs country will refine the choices somewhat.

Forget DB/ Sai Kung until youve been here a while

i think the op likes a place similar to db and sai kung, but don't want the long journey, that she could be working in the western side of Kowloon, gold coast or sham tseng type of area, ie, relaxed, laid back, though not far from the action

Need to know where in Kowloon, and what budget to be able to recommend anywhere...

Watercooler and chingleutsch like this.

Yes, the budget of the OP determines the choice she has. Hard to recommend a place not knowing whether she can afford the rent. Does her school employer provide any kind of subsidy? Or purely on her salary alone?

Obvious answer, Chung King Mansion. Cheap, clean, right in the middle of Tsim Sha Tsui and MTR stations, lots of "expats" and excellent security (with over 150 CCTV installed in there).

Last edited by dtb; 09-07-2013 at 11:06 AM.

GadgetGirl - suggest you have a look at a map of Hong Kong that shows Hong Kong Island, Kowloon and New Territories: you will see that "Kowloon" is more like a city in itself, rather than just a suburb. That's why we want to know where your school will be...
    And without knowing whether you'll be working as an EdB NET, kindergarten teacher, or something in between, we have no idea what your rental budget is likely to be.

p.s. the previous post needs an "irony" icon

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast