Like Tree2Likes

PolyU Student- Accommodation Budget 7,000-10,000 HKD

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PolyU Student- Accommodation Budget 7,000-10,000 HKD

Hello,
    Me and my Fiancee will move to HK next August to study our PhD at Poly U.
    We want to have a nice place, nothing fancy or luxurious but of a reasonable size, clean and pretty.
    We have a budget of up to 10,000HKD for the rent. I would love if it can go around 9,000HKD.
    I have been searching online and I found many places that look ok in the Tsuen Wan area. Is that a good area? I want a place where she can feel secure and we can go outside for a morning jog.

We won't mind commuting (no more than 45 minutes) if that means a better place. Any more suggestions?
    We both can speak Mandarin (I know that HK speaks Cantonese, but maybe it helps) and read Traditional Chinese. So being with locals is no problem.

I also was wondering where can I find the "steps" or requirements needed for renting a place. (How many months of deposit should I pay, anything special that I must do or ask for)
    Thanks for your help!

What do you mean by 'reasonable size'?

Hk is safe, she'll feel secure here pretty much anywhere.

Size

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    What do you mean by 'reasonable size'?

Hk is safe, she'll feel secure here pretty much anywhere.
    By "Reasonable size" I mean a room that is bigger than 350 sq. ft.
    I know that I can't get a huge place. I just dont want to live in a little egg.

live in sheung shui/fanling, 40mins by train ( frequency 3 mins), cheapest by far

Its cheap, but how convinient is it?
    Can I find a place to buy groceries? How convinient is to go to the city from here lets say one day for a party?
    Isnt too far?
    Thanks

They still both need to factor in the MTR ride to Poly U - as it costs them x2 for any long haul.

So... You think that sheung shui or fanling are better options? Why Tsuen Wan isnt?
    I am really lost about where to rent.

Tsuenwan will be a bit more expensive than fanling/ sheung shui. You can rent a more spacious house in sheun shui area for your budget!! Buying groceries n stuffs wouldnt be that hard if you live near town centre.

Sheungshui/fanling is in the same east rail line as hung hom and you dont have to change trains, but takes 40 mins by travel time...if you stay in tseunwan, along the mtr stations, you have to change trains to hunghom, but 30 mins travel..if you can find an place to stay in tsuen wan near the tsuen wan west station,then its just a 20 min travel

Getting to hk island or tsim sha tsui area will take atleast an hour from sheungshui. If itsjust for the weekends, wont be that hard!!

You can also try ma on shan area or city one area.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks mobile app

Last edited by shafiq; 14-07-2013 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by herisalmas:
    By "Reasonable size" I mean a room that is bigger than 350 sq. ft.
    I know that I can't get a huge place. I just dont want to live in a little egg.
    you can get a 350-400 for HK$4000 in sheung shui and fanling in traditional Chinese building, HK$5500 in recent apartment, same size in hung hom or most parts of Kowloon in old building will cost you HK$8000-9000

tsuen wan, 350 sq ft cost you HK$7000, plus you have to change train lines ( not as convenient), takes similar time as east rail (sheung shui fanling) but in shueng shui you get seat all the way to hung hom,
    Last edited by imparanoic; 15-07-2013 at 07:11 AM.

Thanks for all your help!
    I will definitely check all those places. I have a general budget of 30,000HKD a month but I don't want to waste it all in rent. So I think that with all that you have told me. I have a much better idea of what to expect.
    One more question. How difficult is to find an apartment that includes some furniture, fridge, stove, washing machine, etc...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast