Like Tree5Likes

I'm coming to HK!

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Claire is correct - you need to go to local estate agents in person - or, as you are staying with relatives (I assume locals?) you should be able to get some help reading the classifieds in Chinese newspapers ... they also advertise much cheaper places than the English language press and websites.

Min07 is also correct that your budget is low - it might work for a flat share, but no way for your own place in Mei Foo or Olympic. Small studio/ subdivided flat in Cheung Sha Wan or Tai Kok Tsui, maybe.

I just got a flat for under 6k in CWB, and it's pretty nice. I looked into flat-sharing briefly, but it didn't seem like it was that much cheaper than getting your own place. And since I was leaning that way in general, I stopped looking. While trying to find a place, I looked at quite a few, some good and some not so good. The flat I chose isn't furnished (although most of them were), but I figured in the long run the lower rent will make up for the furniture costs (and I already have a few things that were free).

If you don't cook, then your options are even better! I like to cook and I wanted the ability to have a washing machine, so that limited my options. I looked at a few nice places (fairly spacious, sunny, clean, etc.) that I would have loved except they didn't have a cooking area. Most of the flats I looked at were in the 6-7k range, so I think anyone looking should be ok, but you might have to hunt a lot. And if you're able to go up to 8k then the flats are really spacious! Well, at least they seemed that way after looking at 100ft flats.

Oh, I also called a few realtors in advance to tell them what I was looking for, so that our first meeting was actually to go look at flats. Saves some time!

Quote Originally Posted by foreverhobbes:
    I just got a flat for under 6k in CWB, and it's pretty nice. I looked into flat-sharing briefly, but it didn't seem like it was that much cheaper than getting your own place. And since I was leaning that way in general, I stopped looking. While trying to find a place, I looked at quite a few, some good and some not so good. The flat I chose isn't furnished (although most of them were), but I figured in the long run the lower rent will make up for the furniture costs (and I already have a few things that were free).

If you don't cook, then your options are even better! I like to cook and I wanted the ability to have a washing machine, so that limited my options. I looked at a few nice places (fairly spacious, sunny, clean, etc.) that I would have loved except they didn't have a cooking area. Most of the flats I looked at were in the 6-7k range, so I think anyone looking should be ok, but you might have to hunt a lot. And if you're able to go up to 8k then the flats are really spacious! Well, at least they seemed that way after looking at 100ft flats.

Oh, I also called a few realtors in advance to tell them what I was looking for, so that our first meeting was actually to go look at flats. Saves some time!
    A good friend of mine is looking for a new flat as her LL is upping the rent up out of her budget. Could you tell me where about's you looked at good flats to rent so I can pass on the info? Today she looked at some pretty dire places in Tung Chung, and Tsing Yi. Her absolute budget max is 10K. Thanks.

I mainly looked in CWB and Wan Chai (mostly Wan Chai). I tried looking in a few other places but didn't find as much for as cheap. I was a bit surprised but someone told me that CWB and Wan Chai have a lot more studios than other places.
    I saw a couple of really nice places for 8.5 and 8.8, but one didn't have a washer and the other didn't have a washer or cooking space. So if your friend doesn't care about those things, it will be even easier.

Which agent are you using? I may need to move fairly soon, currently paying 15k in a flat share in cwb but if i can get a decent place for less then even better.

Is your place in an old building? Is it a walk up? I'd prefer a newer building and a one bedroom place that is furnished to a decent standard. Not bothered about a cooking area as i can't cook for sh!t.

I basically combed through gohome.com (only looking at new ads) and then called those agents or owners about the places in my price range that didn't look to terrible. Then usually those agents showed me that one (if it was still available) and a couple others. I ended up going with Dynasty Property but other agents (like Hoi Ka) also showed me some good places that just didn't quite fit.

My place is in an old building (not a walk-up) that is unfurnished, but I chose a cheaper option. Most of the places I looked at were furnished, some relatively new. I only looked at two walk-ups and they were on the ground floor and second floor so not bad.

Trebor likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5