Which District to Start Looking for Accommodation?

Which District to Start Looking for Accommodation?

Hi there,
    I'm looking for suggestions on which districts to start looking for apartments in.
    This is for my partner and I starting work in August this year.
    Difficult thing is we are working a good distance apart so need somewhere reasonably accessible to transport to commute.

I'm wokring in Discovery Bay and my partner is working in Ma On Shan.

Any thoughts on districts for new bees would be great.

You probably couldn't get further apart really.

Living in Central/Mid Levels would give you the best transport options ie: you could catch the ferry to DB and he could get the train or a bus to the vicinity of his work.

Tung Chung could be another option. Its near the airport and there are buses over to DB and it is the end of an MTR line but I it would be a very long journey for your husband. EDIT: Forget this option, Ma On Shan is so far away, central would be best and you would have the chance of a social life and to enjoy HK on the weekend.

They would be the 2 options I would investigate first short of living in one of the locations where you are working.

With that kind of commute I hope you are both getting paid well.

Last edited by larac; 11-05-2008 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks for those ideas

If we did live at one of the locations of our work, would it be best in your view to live DB and commute to Ma On Shan or the opposite way around?
    Your thoughts appreciated.

?

depends on your lifestyle , budget and preferences - do you have kids?

Hung Hom could be an ooption if it is just the two of you

DB to MOS would take over an hour door to door so one of you would need to be happy commuting like that on a regular basis if you choose to live in one of those places

DB has lots of expats, restaurants established community, lots of kids, nice scenery etc
    MOS has growing community of expats, restaurants creeping in but are close by in Sai Kung, Shatin and you are on the train line - be worth considering a car (cheap to pick up second hand) probably cheaper for housing

are you both teachers by any chance?

Gold Coast is going to be the most conveniant location to Ma On Shan via the Shing Mun toll Tunnel, by car, it is a very uncomplex sub 30 minutes route. A small car doesnt cost much to run, especially if most of your drive is nice flowing free way. which Mah On Shan to and from the Gold Coast is.
    If you buy a used 3 - 5 year old Toyota Prius Hybrid, road tax is under $1000HKD a year, and 55mpg is easilly realised.

Bus from Gold Coast to Central takes between 38 - 55 minutes depending on the time of day. Its an uncomplicated bus route to get to and from work, and thats about it. Gold Coast has a pretty large expat population living in and neighbouring it, rents are also reasonabl. You can easilly rent a 4 year old place, inc gas under bench oven, is 1200ft2 of spacious 3 bedroom apartment with an included car space, also a sea view, all for $18,500 a month, ie Aqua Blue apartments. they also inc a private Shuttle bus to Tsuen Wan and Tuen Mun MTR, making central commutes a no brainer affair. Just one of many possibilities you have to consider.....

Clearwater bay nearest Hang Hau MTR could also be a consideration, as you are about 50/50 time distance from each others work on public transport, about 45 minutes each from there, less time if a car is used for the Ma On Shan leg..

In my opinion, Clearwater bay and Tuen Muns Gold Coast, Sham Tseng, Tsuen Wan are going to be the least complicated routes to and from work, for the Ma On Shan & Central commutes.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 12-05-2008 at 10:24 AM.

skyhook - I think you misread the question.

They need to commute to Ma On Shan and Discovery Bay, not Ma On Shan and Central!

But as noted, this is one of the worst combinations you could come up with.

Hung Hom is not a bad idea but if you're using public transport then you must be looking at the best part of two hours total commute each way - the main question is simply how do you split it between the two of you?

I beg your pardon, I did too. PDLM.

Hung Hom / Whampoa Garden, sounds like the best compromise.

Apologies for my previous post .

I also hope the OP has a very strong marriage, because its going to need to be rock solid during literally having one of the worst couple commute scenario's possible.

When you were being recruited, didnt anybody bother to mention the major disjointed nature of the commute between the two locations ?

Last edited by Skyhook; 12-05-2008 at 11:22 AM.

Skyhook got me thinking, I hadn't considered 'going round the back' to get to Ma On Shan. Maybe you could consider Tung Chung if you lived close to the ferry to get accross to Tuen Mun and catch a bus from Tuen Mun to Ma On Shan.

This is the ferry link Ferry Schedule and Fare Table

and this is probably the bus company
    The Kowloon Motor Bus Co. (1933) Ltd ?E?s??h([email protected]?E?T?T)

Huge Thankyou to all replies:-)

Thanks very much for all your replies. I am now coming to terms with the whole commute thing. Yes it will be a challenge for us - but I'm optomistic -it can be done.
    Teabaylady - yes we were teachers. What gave it away.
    Cheers everyone - i will head into researching all of these great ideas.
    Cheers
    Catsader.

This could help you. Sai Kung is not that far from Ma On Shan.

Should the link get deleted check out some other Xpat sites for a similar transport dilema.

Getting from Sai Kung to DB - cost and time efficient | Living in Hong Kong Discussions | Hong Kong Expat Forums | AsiaXPAT.com

Last edited by larac; 14-05-2008 at 08:28 PM.