Like Tree19Likes

Renting a room on a boat?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Yes, yes, we know that one - why dont you tell us a bit more about the buses from Gold Coast instead We havent heard that one in a while

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

As a few posts show, there are couple of places to look for a cabin; however, it may not be economical to do so and/or possible if the owner only wants short-term paying guest. There are many other options, which will become apparent/viable once you get to know Hong Kong.

Ok thanks......yeah i'm sure I'll manage when I get there and I don't have any qualms about living in a high rise as I'm sure it will be a new and exciting experience....for a while anyway, however I just wanted to see what the options were!!! But I think you're right - best to suss it out on arrival. I'll keep my eyes peeled. A couple more questions - which part of the city do you recommend to stay in on arrival - I'm talking youth hostels with good access to the city centre? Also, what's the job market like for expats? Is it relatively easy to find work or hugely competitive? I have experience in English teaching, nannying and sales/administration. I'll need to get a job fairly lively as I don't expect my budget to stretch for very long!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tink29:
    Ok thanks......yeah i'm sure I'll manage when I get there and I don't have any qualms about living in a high rise as I'm sure it will be a new and exciting experience....for a while anyway, however I just wanted to see what the options were!!! But I think you're right - best to suss it out on arrival. I'll keep my eyes peeled. A couple more questions - which part of the city do you recommend to stay in on arrival - I'm talking youth hostels with good access to the city centre? Also, what's the job market like for expats? Is it relatively easy to find work or hugely competitive? I have experience in English teaching, nannying and sales/administration. I'll need to get a job fairly lively as I don't expect my budget to stretch for very long!!!
    Do you have a visa status allowing you to work?

Do you speak Cantonese?

What salary are you looking for?

The above info would help answer your question.

No not yet.....I haven't left Vietnam yet!! I've been told that it's best to get there and find a job when I arrive and then sort out the Visa? No I can't speak Cantonese and yes I know this limits me but I also understand that Hong Kong has a large English speaking community so I'm hoping there are jobs about where Cantonese is not an essential part of the job'spec! Salary.......anything that will get me by, there's no point living there if I'm going to be struggling for cash every month but obviously the higher the salary the better. Which jobs pay the best? I know banking is a good area to get into but unfortunately I don't really have experience in that field and suspect its pretty competitive! I happy to do whatever.

Fatelvis and Elegiaque like this.

No not yet.....I haven't left Vietnam yet!! I've been told that it's best to get there and find a job when I arrive and then sort out the Visa?
    What passport do you hold? If you're Vietnamese then you need a major rethink because Vietnamese cannot get employment visas here.

Oh.. here we go...

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    There are official (as in YHA) youth hostels and then there are general hostels, such as Yes-Inn.

The job market depends on the job you are going for and your experience in that field. It can also depend on whether you need sponsor of an employment visa, i.e. if you are not a Hong Kong permanent resident you will need an employment visa. Not all employers are willing to sponsor said visas so you will be discounted on that score. Basically, employers need to show ImmD that you have a skill not readily available in Hong Kong among its permanent residents.

English teaching - plenty of tutor mills here, as well as excellent English centres. The latter will require teaching/English qualifications and experience, for the most part. The former will likely rip you off.

Nannying - we have Foreign Domestic Helpers (FHDs) here who are imported labour from Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, etc. to take care of a family's kiddies. Full-time nannies, e.g. Norland, will be properly qualified.

Sales/administration - the overwhelming majority of companies in Hong Kong are Chinese-owned. Even multi-nationals will probably require Chinese language skills in addition to English. These positions may be on the lowered end of the salary scale and might not meet the requirements of employment visa sponsorship.

What special skills can you bring to Hong Kong so we can steer you in the right direct?
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 02-09-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Haha I think I'll be alright, my passport is registered under 'Her Majesty' the Queen of England!!!