Like Tree19Likes

Renting a room on a boat?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Incoming lecture about you're an illegal immigrant since you can't legally reside here without a valid visa blah blah blah.

So prepare yourself tink!

Quote Originally Posted by tink29:
    Haha I think I'll be alright, my passport is registered under 'Her Majesty' the Queen of England!!!
    Interesting - I've not come across an English passport before...

Haha I think I'll be alright, my passport is registered under 'Her Majesty' the Queen of England!!!
    While the Queen may have helped you pre-97 when you didnt need a work visa, post 97 you have to bow down to CCCP and accept their rules that your red colored pport needs a proper visa just like most other nationalities.

See point #4 from here : http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/services/h...ry-permit.html

Thank you Howard and I am aware of the Visa situation......but that was not the question that Gruntfuttock asked!! The question was - what kind of passport do I hold? Why you ask? In order to determine the possibilities of being granted work in HK! :P

Cheers Claire..............uuurhhh depends what you mean by 'special skills' but I have the necessary qualifications and experience to teach English so I don't think that will be a problem. I also have relevant nannying experience and have registered with a website for hiring expat-English speaking nannies so I may get something through that. The Admin thing is probably going to be more tricky as I can't speak Cantonese so unless it's a 100% foreign company who does not require Cantonese then I'm screwed. I used to do account management back home a couple or years ago but I'm don't mind really what I'm doing as long as it gets me by and I enjoy it.

Salary.......anything that will get me by, there's no point living there if I'm going to be struggling for cash every month but obviously the higher the salary the better.
    Well you said it yourself... there is really no point in you living here if you're going to be struggling for cash every month. I have years of experience teaching English, a masters in language, came here with a visa, and have found "well paying" jobs with post-secondary education institutions.... and yet I could just very well forget about going out on my own.

So you'd be better off in Vietnam than HK if you don't want to struggle with cash! But given that you seem comfortable with living in a hostel for some time, perhaps you have different ideas of how much cash is necessary...
    tink29 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4