Like Tree15Likes

New to hk and str8 to db

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by scrambler:
    any one visit the maritime museum on way to chai wan?
    Yes, it's ok, pleasant enough.

If you do go down that way and like movies it's also worth seeing what's on at The HK Film Archive. As well as programmes of HK films from different eras they also do regular programmes of films from around the world; at the moment they have a season of restored silent era Hitchcock films and one of Italian Neo-realist films as well as the 100 HK Must-See Movies season.
    scrambler likes this.

If your kids are the animal-loving sort OP, you can always take them to Ocean Park, Kadoorie Farm or the Hong Kong Wetland Park, which is sort of a mini-version of the Florida Everglades, minus the alligators. Speaking of which, we do have the Chinese alligators as well (at the Kadoorie Farm and Ocean Park), very similar to it's American cousin, but at only half the size.

Last edited by Watercooler; 15-09-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dipper:
    Yes, it's ok, pleasant enough.

If you do go down that way and like movies it's also worth seeing what's on at The HK Film Archive. As well as programmes of HK films from different eras they also do regular programmes of films from around the world; at the moment they have a season of restored silent era Hitchcock films and one of Italian Neo-realist films as well as the 100 HK Must-See Movies season.

can go have bit of tapas at tapeo after an a stroll along the promenade - there's even a ferry to lei yu mun from there,,,, one of my ex-employees lived around there so we used to catch up there occasionally..

didnt actually go in the Film Archive yet - cant believe i never did - nice call

Again

Guys you're all so funny, and I have an idea ,just name the place and time (post 3rd of October) and I will be glad to invite you all for a drink .... I would love to see how u'll take it live, we can call it a peace convention... And am serious on that.
    From what I see, each has his own view of hongkong, some old local friends actually laughed at me when I told them we re moving to db, and to be honest db was out of question for me at first, but then came our first surprise, the only place in school that we could find for the kids this period was dbis, and then we visited db and actually liked it, am not sure if am gonna go nuts there, but hk is 25mns away, and most important I think the kids would love it.... The only concern for me was how much of entertainment there was for them, now I see that we should be commuting outside db most of our week ends since most of the action is outside, but hey that won't ruin my perception of db, it's still the best place to raise kids specially for two working parents.
    Thanks you again for making my thread so alive, I didn't imagine so much action

elle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Michel961:
    ...now I see that we should be commuting outside db most of our week ends since most of the action is outside...
    That may be your intention and thought process but in the end, you wont.

I know (and knew) a lot of DB families and thats what they all say when they first move. The reality is that you will find your niche there and will stay there week in and week out. There is plenty to do, plenty of friends and getting on that boat/bus will seem such a huge chore, you will avoid it.
    kimwy66, INXS and Claire ex-ax like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Michel961:
    but then came our first surprise, the only place in school that we could find for the kids this period was dbis...
    Hi, would you please check your PM box? I have 6-yr olds too and I'm hoping to learn from your experience in the school search..we are looking at moving next year. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    That may be your intention and thought process but in the end, you wont.

I know (and knew) a lot of DB families and thats what they all say when they first move. The reality is that you will find your niche there and will stay there week in and week out. There is plenty to do, plenty of friends and getting on that boat/bus will seem such a huge chore, you will avoid it.
    and thats bad? Different peeps...different preference.

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app

Absolutely .... Db seemed the right thing for us.
    Next week I will be able to tell you all about it.

Hi, my suggestions, especially if you're right there on Lantau, would be to take them for a hike up Sunset Peak or Lantau Peak! Once you're up Lantau Peak you can visit the Big Budda area and then there is a lovely path that goes south to the road, the Shek Pik Country Trail (http://www.hkwalkers.net/eng/trail_l...troduction.htm). You can bring a pack lunch -- great views from on top and it's certainly very doable!

Gosh, I would love to be on Lantau to go walking around all the time. Also, you can go visit Tai O, the fishing village on the other side of Lantau, and you can take a little insane boat trip around there. There are also some pink dolphins (hardly any left :/) off the coast of Lantau and there are some dolphin tours you can do.

There's also a cool geological park: http://www.geopark.gov.hk/en_index.htm. (I haven't been yet!)

People have spoken highly of Kadoorie Farm for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    and thats bad? Different peeps...different preference.
    Not good nor bad - its just an observation.
    Families who move to DB tend to stay in DB full time and rarely venture outside. They do tend to visit Disney once in a while (its close) and a hike or boat ride over to Muiwo for a change of scenery, but its a rare thing to find a DB family to go to Lamma, Saikung or other areas....