Park Island

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Park Island

My husband and I are looking for an apartment at PI but have always lived in Mid-Levels - we're hoping to get 'more bang for our buck' with the move.

We have a budget of 18-22k and are hoping to find something nice (around 1,000sqft) for that.

Can anyone tell us which phase/blocks are best value or best location and I'm still trying to figure out just how far we might end up from the ferry or the shuttle bus.

Are there times during the day when the ferry services are over-subscribed?

What are the management fees like?

With a dog, is there free range within the complex or are we limited by where we can take him. Is the beach open to responsible pet owners (my dog loves a swim!)

Our main criteria is getting some more space in our choice of apartment so the 'isolation' issues I've read about don't bother us much.

Are the apartments built well enough that not too much noice travels between them?

Any other pros and cons that you could share with us?

Thank you

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Just fyi, newer buildings in HK, particularly those with facilities/clubhouses/etc., have lower efficiency rates. That is, a 1000 sf flat may only have 650 sf of useable floor space (which also includes bay window areas). Also newer buildings are built with lighter materials and with beams further apart, so they can be built higher (less weight). The lighter materials and fewer beams offer very little in the way of sound insulation.

I believe the main beach is out of bounds to dogs as it is a government-gazetted (public) beach.

As mentioned, you cannot bring your dog on the public beach. There's a beach to the north that is not public and is technically not listed as a beach which you could bring your dog to, I suppose, but it doesn't have net, etc. Your dog will be welcome just about everywhere else -- many people call it "Pet Island."

The ferry is never full. Sometimes you may have to "share" with someone (heaven forbid, they may take the seat next to you!), but it's never anything dire.

For the distance, it's all dependent on the lift, how fast you walk, etc. Best it to try it for yourself. I can walk from the back of Phase 5 to the pier at a leisurely rate in under 10 minutes. My husband can do this at an even faster speed. My neighbor takes 15-20 minutes to walk the same distance. You should really just get on the ferry and take a walk around the complex this weekend.

Also, if you have 18-22K/month, I've heard that there are Tin Liu Village buildings in entirity (all 3 floors -- about 2100 sq ft) that are rented for about that price....

[edit] Should also add that the brochures list both the size of the apartment as well as the "usable space".

Last edited by Shanghai38; 29-05-2008 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona and Steve:
    My husband and I are looking for an apartment at PI but have always lived in Mid-Levels - we're hoping to get 'more bang for our buck' with the move.

We have a budget of 18-22k and are hoping to find something nice (around 1,000sqft) for that.

Can anyone tell us which phase/blocks are best value or best location and I'm still trying to figure out just how far we might end up from the ferry or the shuttle bus.

Are there times during the day when the ferry services are over-subscribed?

What are the management fees like?

With a dog, is there free range within the complex or are we limited by where we can take him. Is the beach open to responsible pet owners (my dog loves a swim!)

Our main criteria is getting some more space in our choice of apartment so the 'isolation' issues I've read about don't bother us much.

Are the apartments built well enough that not too much noice travels between them?

Any other pros and cons that you could share with us?

Thank you
    I live in Block 19, which is pretty much the furthest away from the ferry. Takes me 5 mins walking at a fast pace, prob 10 mins the average. Shuttle bus is directly outside.

I have never heard any noise from my neighbours - I might just have quiet neighbours though.

One new development is taxis will be allowed onto the island (from midnight until 6am i think) from next month.

It is definately the best place I have lived in HK and IMO far more pros than cons. possible negative points to consider -

- arranging vehicle permits to get things moved.
    - the possible replacement of the late night ferry service from Central with a bus.
    - not the widest choice of restaurants on the island
    - no choice for food shopping on the island (PnS is your lot)
    - no bar to sit,relax and have a drink (not that I know of anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by leghk:
    I live in Block 19, which is pretty much the furthest away from the ferry. Takes me 5 mins walking at a fast pace, prob 10 mins the average. Shuttle bus is directly outside.

I have never heard any noise from my neighbours - I might just have quiet neighbours though.

One new development is taxis will be allowed onto the island (from midnight until 6am i think) from next month.

It is definately the best place I have lived in HK and IMO far more pros than cons. possible negative points to consider -

- arranging vehicle permits to get things moved.
    - the possible replacement of the late night ferry service from Central with a bus.
    - not the widest choice of restaurants on the island
    - no choice for food shopping on the island (PnS is your lot)
    - no bar to sit,relax and have a drink (not that I know of anyway)

How much better has PnS got by the way?! although they could still improve a lot more by opening more than one checkout at once...but one step at a time!

I did remember reading/hearing that there was going to be a bar in chic chic club but don't know if or what became of it...maybe i'l check it out and let you know.

The taxi thing will be a big bonus, although i'm wondering whether it will be difficult getting taxi drivers to go there in the first few months as they may not be aware about the changes...

Quote Originally Posted by DanielandHayley:
    How much better has PnS got by the way?! although they could still improve a lot more by opening more than one checkout at once...but one step at a time!

I did remember reading/hearing that there was going to be a bar in chic chic club but don't know if or what became of it...maybe i'l check it out and let you know.

The taxi thing will be a big bonus, although i'm wondering whether it will be difficult getting taxi drivers to go there in the first few months as they may not be aware about the changes...
    I agree PnS is much better, but I would be happier if they stopped overcharging me.

Please let me know about the bar, as I think that would be a real improvement. Only 2 months or so left to enjoy unfortunately

Bar on PI? Really? That'll be interesting. But I have to say that I'm a little happier with PnS but still hoping that they'll bring in organic meat.

Quote Originally Posted by sunniefaith:
    Bar on PI? Really? That'll be interesting. But I have to say that I'm a little happier with PnS but still hoping that they'll bring in organic meat.
    dont hold me to it if there isnt a bar! I agree re, the meat in Park n Shop, we still have to get ours at 360, but one step at a time i guess...at least we no longer have to do all of the shopping at 360! can even get the odd bit of british chocolate in PnS now!

Quote Originally Posted by DanielandHayley:
    dont hold me to it if there isnt a bar! I agree re, the meat in Park n Shop, we still have to get ours at 360, but one step at a time i guess...at least we no longer have to do all of the shopping at 360! can even get the odd bit of british chocolate in PnS now!
    Organic beef, the cheapest that I've found so far...Taste at Kowloon Tong. Organic chicken - 360 or city super. Yes, it's good to know that some of the stuff that I used get in Citysuper, I can get them at our local PnS now. Saves time and money

Organic beef!!! I bet the cows are really healthy, happy and contented right up until the point they get shot!!!

Just joking..no offense intended fellow PI residents.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast