Like Tree17Likes

NYT Article about Housing in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NYT Article about Housing in HK

Not new news, but it's a good reminder of the situation for some in HK and the conditions they have to live with:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/28/bu...g.html?hp&_r=0

chris_yang22 likes this.

Cue INXS to tell us all the 'small-unit' (apparently calling them cage-dwellers is an emotive western term) residents choose to live there because they like the area

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Cue INXS to tell us all the 'small-unit' (apparently calling them cage-dwellers is an emotive western term) residents choose to live there because they like the area
    Ha.....but truthfully the problem in Hong Kong is overpopulation and housing for everyone.

I feel sorry for the cage dwellers, but when middle income families are forced to live in 40 sq meters, than logic dictates the poor are going to live in even smaller quarters.

Hong Kong's poor live in proportionally smaller housing than the middle class. All but the very wealthy live in cramped conditions. Hong Kong needs less people and bigger flats. Not more people and more tiny flats.

Or westerners need to get real. Maybe having 2500 square feet for a family of four is wrong.

Titus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Or westerners need to get real. Maybe having 2500 square feet for a family of four is wrong.
    I thought we were talking about a NYT article about Hong Kong housing? Why the fuck do you feel the need to bring the US or the west into every thread? If you miss the west so much that you need to talk about it every day... While.. You know where the airport is!
    kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    I thought we were talking about a NYT article about Hong Kong housing? Why the fuck do you feel the need to bring the US or the west into every thread? If you miss the west so much that you need to talk about it every day... While.. You know where the airport is!
    I'm assuming because the article in question was in an American newspaper so from an American point of view. It's certainly true the yanks live in some of the largest houses on the planet. Some Aussies do too, for that matter. And it is unnecessary, contributes to global warming through excessive energy consumption and transportation (towns spread to make room for massive houses). But HK is too small at the other end of the scale too, imho. A happy medium seems hard to define!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I'm assuming because the article in question was in an American newspaper so from an American point of view. It's certainly true the yanks live in some of the largest houses on the planet. Some Aussies do too, for that matter. And it is unnecessary, contributes to global warming through excessive energy consumption and transportation (towns spread to make room for massive houses). But HK is too small at the other end of the scale too, imho. A happy medium seems hard to define!
    Ehh, I'm not buying that. That article could have been written in SCMP and US housing would have been brought up just the same.

Yes, the yanks live in large houses, because they can! Everyone wants a bigger house.. its just a matter of whether you can afford one. Just take a drive up the peak....

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Ehh, I'm not buying that. That article could have been written in SCMP and US housing would have been brought up just the same.

Yes, the yanks live in large houses, because they can! Everyone wants a bigger house.. its just a matter of whether you can afford one. Just take a drive up the peak....
    Min07 said it for me. I live in HK...I don't need to read a rag that was edited for American digestion to tell me about my town...

100sqmeters is already a lot in many wealthy EU nations.
    Singles live in 35 to 50+ sqm units and feel content.
    Rotterdam cube house looks great^^

Last edited by Morrison; 28-09-2013 at 08:55 PM.
    INXS, Watercooler and bibbju like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    100sqmeters is already a lot in many wealthy EU nations.
    Singles live in 35 to 50+ sqm units and feel content.
    Rotterdam cube house looks great^^
    Ah but we can't all live in Rotterdam cube houses can we?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast