Like Tree14Likes

Early termination of apartment rental - Need advice (URGENT)

Reply
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Bullshit - they have no legal rights whatsoever to stop you leaving. If they did try, simply call the police and go on your way.
    Excuse me, it's not bullshit...I've seen it happen. Legal right or no...they might try to delay proceedings until the landlord gets there. And you know what? I fucking hope they do because they would be fucking right to...sick of these fly by night ears. Call your landlord and sort it out.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18,432

    Landlord has no legal rights to enter the flat and certainly none to steal her stuff. You are over thinking this.


  3. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by zimago
    Thanks for your insights.

    @audiot : what can the landlord do in regards to my friend's stuff being still in the apartment ? I mean in this scenario, she only lets the landlord know "orally", and on the day she leaves, the apartment will still be covered by her latest (and last) monthly payment so ... How would the landlord break-in and seize her furniture as compensation ?

    @fth : she's ready to pay for agents fees and help find another tenant, but if and only if the landlord "releases" her, in written form, from the contract, and commits to give back the 2 month guarantee. I don't really see that happen though ... Landlord will probably prefer to keep the 2 months guarantee and find another tenant on his own I think ...

    I don't see how the landlord could do anything before her departure really ... And like TheBrit and others, I think it wouldn't be reasonsable to take legal action overseas, landlord will be better off using those 2-months guarantee to find a new tenant.
    Ask the landlord and find out what he or she prefers....ffsake......so many pious wankers on these boards wringing their hands.....as soon as someone wants to do a runner on their landlord... Tally Ho!

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Landlord has no legal rights to enter the flat and certainly none to steal her stuff. You are over thinking this.
    No, but it gives the landlord a chance to confront the tenant, face to face. As it should be, rather than cravenly slinking put of the back door.....sorry TB...you know this topic winds me right up......whatever. I'm serious though, I've seen management refusing lift access and all sorts while they got a landlord in....

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18,432
    Quote Originally Posted by INXS
    Excuse me, it's not bullshit...I've seen it happen. Legal right or no...they might try to delay proceedings until the landlord gets there. And you know what? I fucking hope they do because they would be fucking right to...sick of these fly by night ears. Call your landlord and sort it out.
    Whatever you say. Useless to delay proceedings till the landlord gets there either. The landlord has no right to obstruct or harass the tenant either. So they would not be 'fucking right', they would be committing a crime for which they could and should be arrested.

    Breaking a contract is a civil matter.
    Threatening, harassing or physically obstructing someone is a criminal offence
    .
    bak875 likes this.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Whatever you say. Useless to delay proceedings till the landlord gets there either. The landlord has no right to obstruct or harass the tenant either. So they would not be 'fucking right', they would be committing a crime for which they could and should be arrested.

    Breaking a contract is a civil matter.
    Threatening, harassing or physically obstructing someone is a criminal offence
    .
    Whatever....tenant beware....
    audiot likes this.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,455

    If a tenant has a few days /weeks to leave because immd are kicking them out that is different to choosing to leave early.


  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    34

    I'm with TheBrit here INXS ;-)

    In Hong Kong, I don't think security guards can do more than calling the owner to let them know that "someone is taking boxes out of the apartment". I don't think they can stop the movers' from taking out the stuff. After all, any tenant has the right to send away his/her stuff and buy brand new one from Ikea without the landlord's consent right ?

    And in regards to my friend's case : it doesn't matter if they call the landlord to let them know, because on that precise day, the apartment will still be legally rented and paid for by my friend so ... In fact as long as she doesn't clearly states her will to break the contract, and/or stops paying the monthly fees, I think there's just NOTHING the landlord can do. She could empty the apartment and move to Australia tomorrow, as long as she pays the monthly fees, I don't think the landlord can do anything, they cannot even access the apartment.


  9. #19

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by usehername
    If a tenant has a few days /weeks to leave because immd are kicking them out that is different to choosing to leave early.
    Oh please....it's not different at all....you, the tenant agree to a 12 month contract....why is what happens between you and immigration the landlord's problem...?

    This is the freaking problem with young people today.....always somebody else's fault or problem. Does my swede in.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by zimago
    I'm with TheBrit here INXS ;-)
    What a surprise.

    The fact that you have the neck to come on to a public forum to give your conscience permission to sleep while you shaft your landlord tells me all I need to know about your character sunshine.

Reply
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast