Like Tree14Likes

Early termination of apartment rental - Need advice (URGENT)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    No, but it gives the landlord a chance to confront the tenant, face to face. As it should be, rather than cravenly slinking put of the back door.....sorry TB...you know this topic winds me right up......whatever. I'm serious though, I've seen management refusing lift access and all sorts while they got a landlord in....

Original Post Deleted
    Whatever....tenant beware....
    audiot likes this.

If a tenant has a few days /weeks to leave because immd are kicking them out that is different to choosing to leave early.

I'm with DeletedUser here INXS ;-)

In Hong Kong, I don't think security guards can do more than calling the owner to let them know that "someone is taking boxes out of the apartment". I don't think they can stop the movers' from taking out the stuff. After all, any tenant has the right to send away his/her stuff and buy brand new one from Ikea without the landlord's consent right ?

And in regards to my friend's case : it doesn't matter if they call the landlord to let them know, because on that precise day, the apartment will still be legally rented and paid for by my friend so ... In fact as long as she doesn't clearly states her will to break the contract, and/or stops paying the monthly fees, I think there's just NOTHING the landlord can do. She could empty the apartment and move to Australia tomorrow, as long as she pays the monthly fees, I don't think the landlord can do anything, they cannot even access the apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    If a tenant has a few days /weeks to leave because immd are kicking them out that is different to choosing to leave early.
    Oh please....it's not different at all....you, the tenant agree to a 12 month contract....why is what happens between you and immigration the landlord's problem...?

This is the freaking problem with young people today.....always somebody else's fault or problem. Does my swede in.

Quote Originally Posted by zimago:
    I'm with DeletedUser here INXS ;-)
    What a surprise.

The fact that you have the neck to come on to a public forum to give your conscience permission to sleep while you shaft your landlord tells me all I need to know about your character sunshine.

Don't get me wrong INXS, when I say "I'm with DeletedUser", it's just that I too think the building's management cannot legally stop you from removing your own stuff from an apartment you legally rent. Nothing more. You seem to think differently and I respect your opinion, we're just giving ours so relax ;-)

I'm just trying to help a friend who's in deep sh...it because she obviously doesn't have the money to pay 8 additional months of rental ...

I don't think she will move away like that, she will OF COURSE try to explain her situation to the landlord, but you have to understand that if the landlord doesn't accept to break the contract, THEN my friend won't have any other choice but running away. And unfortunately for the landlord, the law is on my friend's side, because she will not have committed any crime before she's on the other side of the planet. In the meantime, landlord will have cashed in 2 months guarantee, which is more than enough to find another tenant ... And which is exactly why they charge tenants a guarantee in the first place.

So it's not about "shafting the landlord", it's a "just in case" scenario that she's just asking about before talking with her landlord. It's asking opinion and advice. I think it's exactly the purpose of this forum, or am I missing something here ?

Quote Originally Posted by zimago:
    Don't get me wrong INXS, when I say "I'm with DeletedUser", it's just that I too think the building's management cannot legally stop you from removing your own stuff from an apartment you legally rent. Nothing more. You seem to think differently and I respect your opinion, we're just giving ours so relax ;-)

I'm just trying to help a friend who's in deep sh...it because she obviously doesn't have the money to pay 8 additional months of rental ...

I don't think she will move away like that, she will OF COURSE try to explain her situation to the landlord, but you have to understand that if the landlord doesn't accept to break the contract, THEN my friend won't have any other choice but running away. And unfortunately for the landlord, the law is on my friend's side, because she will not have committed any crime before she's on the other side of the planet. In the meantime, landlord will have cashed in 2 months guarantee, which is more than enough to find another tenant ... And which is exactly why they charge tenants a guarantee in the first place.

So it's not about "shafting the landlord", it's a "just in case" scenario that she's just asking about before talking with her landlord. It's asking opinion and advice. I think it's exactly the purpose of this forum, or am I missing something here ?
    Fair enough. For context it seems like once a week someone comes on to these boards asking what we think about them running off without paying...?Later, people complain that gweilos are often asked for higher rents/deposits than locals. Hmm. I wonder why?

Well, before asking I did my home work and searched the whole forum for similar issues, but my friend needed advice on the 2 points I've mentioned in my post, which were not covered by other posts unfortunately.

It's not just about "running off without paying", it's about a person who can't afford to pay and doesn't want a contract to prevent her from going home after loosing her job.

She should pack up her stuff, move it all out, clean the flat then hand back the keys.

Don't ask for the 2 months deposit back, that is pushing it too far. You are supposed to give at least 1 month notice or payment in lieu in normal circumstances - and this is far from normal.

Last edited by emx; 28-09-2013 at 05:46 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast