Like Tree14Likes

Early termination of apartment rental - Need advice (URGENT)

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Oh please....it's not different at all....you, the tenant agree to a 12 month contract....why is what happens between you and immigration the landlord's problem...?

This is the freaking problem with young people today.....always somebody else's fault or problem. Does my swede in.
    Bollocks. Are all expats supposed to go into week by week contracts in serviced apartments in case immd decide to refuse to renew their visa with one days notice?

If the landlords not happy he can complain to immd about them giving people 24 hours to leave hk.

The previous tenants where I lived pissed off without paying. They were locals. It's not an expat thing - though it's only expats who would find themselves being forced to pack up and leave at such short notice.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    Bollocks. Are all expats supposed to go into week by week contracts in serviced apartments in case immd decide to refuse to renew their visa with one days notice?

If the landlords not happy he can complain to immd about them giving people 24 hours to leave hk.

The previous tenants where I lived pissed off without paying. They were locals. It's not an expat thing - though it's only expats who would find themselves being forced to pack up and leave at such short notice.
    So i ask again, why should that be the landlords problem? You're all grown up to know what 12 months mean when you sign. This is part of living and working abroad. I can't believe what you've written. So it's the landlords responsibility is it? You're full of shit mate.

So i ask again, why should that be the landlords problem? You're all grown up to know what 12 months mean when you sign. This is part of living and working abroad. I can't believe what you've written. So it's the landlords responsibility is it? You're full of shit mate.
    It'a a risk a landlord knowingly takes: the tenant may choose, or be forced, to leave early. That's why they take such a huge deposit.

If someone leaves early the landlord gets to keep the deposit and has a chance to re-lease it, likely for more rent. They've lost nothing.

It'a a risk a landlord knowingly takes: the tenant may choose, or be forced, to leave early. That's why they take such a huge deposit.

If someone leaves early the landlord gets to keep the deposit and has a chance to re-lease it, likely for more rent. They've lost nothing.
    You've obviously never been a landlord. Twat. Houses get themselves back onto the market by magic do they? Estate Agents are working for free are they?... Dumbass kid perspective you have.

You've obviously never been a landlord. Twat. Houses get themselves back onto the market by magic do they? Estate Agents are working for free are they?... Dumbass kid perspective you have.
    Oh dear. Resorting to childish name calling now are we? How embarrasing for you.

My father had been a professional landlord for decades. Tenants skipping out is an occupational hazard that happens every now and then. It's a hassle but the costs are covered by the deposit.

Oh dear. Resorting to childish name calling now are we? How embarrasing for you.

My father had been a professional landlord for decades. Tenants skipping out is an occupational hazard that happens every now and then. It's a hassle but the costs are covered by the deposit.
    Don't come the raw prawn because DeletedUser backed you up. I could say 2 + 2 = 4 and he would disagree.

Just because somebody is in business and that business has risks doesn't mean it's OK to go ahead and shaft them you prat.

You might as well argue that it's OK to burgle homes because the owners have insurance.

Sign a contract and honour it you bunch of good for nothing bums.

Don't come the raw prawn because DeletedUser backed you up. I could say 2 + 2 = 4 and he would disagree.

Just because somebody is in business and that business has risks doesn't mean it's OK to go ahead and shaft them you prat.

You might as well argue that it's OK to burgle homes because the owners have insurance.

Sign a contract and honour it you bunch of good for nothing bums.
    Yes- the ops friend should overstay in hk in order to continue paying the next 8 months rent. That's a brilliant idea. You are truly a genius.

Yes- the ops friend should overstay in hk in order to continue paying the next 8 months rent. That's a brilliant idea. You are truly a genius.
    That idea came out of your puny brain. The OP should meet with the landlord, be honest and come to a mutual agreement.

That idea came out of your puny brain. The OP should meet with the landlord, be honest and come to a mutual agreement.
    You said honour the contract. Coming up with a new agreement is not honouring the contract.

Well I agree with INXS that she's made a mistake by not honoring her contract, she's a grown up and committed to stay there 14 months. But when she signed her job contract, she kinda had to get an apartment in order to live here right ? She didn't expect to loose her job so quickly, and not everyone has the chance to be able to pay 8 months rent for nothing.

When you're in your home country, most of the time you're entitled to unemployment allowances, which she obviously cannot get here in Hong Kong. So she doesn't have a choice and must go back. It's a shame for the landlord in this case, but in many other cases they're still better off renting to foreigners (every Chinese landlord I had in Mainland China preferred renting to me rather than to local Chinese) ...

Guarantee is there to mitigate this risk.