Accommodation tips

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Accommodation tips

Hi all,

I've just accepted a new job in HK and will be moving promptly, post visa approval. I'm a single, 33yo male. Office is located in Wan Chai, so ideally would like live on the island. I'm looking to spend between 12k and 18k on rent. I prefer modern apartments (can be in an old building, if apartment is renovated) and love being able to step out to restaurants/bars/shops etc without travelling. What areas do you suggest I look at and what websites are best? Would using an agent be a better option? I also wouldn't be averse to sharing, but haven't been able to find any decent websites for that.

Any assistance, much appreciated.

Hong Kong Homes was a great help to me and I found a beautiful one bedroom, renovated, within your price range in the Mid Levels. Bear in mind real estate agents here charge a fee that is split by you and the landlord upon settlement (noone told me this ahead of time). I like the Mid Levels because it's so peaceful but right on the doorstep of the action in Central and the color of Sheung Wan.

Thanks PencilSkirt. I think Mid Levels seems to be the popular choice - is there much difference between Central, East and West Mid Levels? As for the agent fee, is it a percentage of rent or otherwise?

The agent fee is normally half a month's rent from each of the landlord and tenant, but is negotiable.

There are also many apartments in Wanchai which could save you doing pretty much any walking!

Would certainly make the commute to work easy! I do actually enjoy walking, including being able to stumble home after a night out.

if you work in Wanchai then why not try Wanchai, it's pretty nice area and full of restaurants + bars. Avoid Hennessy as this is pretty much the noisiest part of Wanchai. I found the area around Queen's road east to be the best, especially around Hopewell centre where you have Supermarket, Fitness first and few cools restaurants.

For real estate agents, try finding an Expat friendly (meaning good English). I've had a few pb when looking for a flat where they were showing completely different flats to what I was looking for. They will charge a fee, which is in general around half a month rent (same to landlord).

Be really specific, tell them you want a Modern flat and not interested in old ones. In general I found that agency didnt share their flats together so you will have to go hunting for flats in the area where you want to live. Walk in the agency directly, in general they have a few flats ready to visit.
    It's customary for landlord to give you a free week where the flat is empty so that you can move in.

If you like walking/running there is Bowen road above Wanchai which is quite nice too.

real estate market is not at its best so you can pretty much negotiate with agents too.

Jpride,
    Don't expect too much for that amount if you wanna live on the island.
    Especially the more modern (read: lighter and cleaner, more soundproof) apartments are priced high.
    The commute in a big city is usually a big deal. Hong Kong is no different.
    So therefore living in WC would be convenient. And for the parties as well.
    Also; Walking outside in Wan Chai is not fun for the bigger part of the year. Think of walking in your business suit through a sauna with buses and cars driving slowly next to you.

We found a flat with a clubhouse, swimming pool, gym, library everything for about 14K in Tseun Kwan O. My wife travels to work just before 8am to avoid crowds in the MTR to Wan Chai in under 40 mins. It's a two bedroom modern apartment built 7 years ago.

A taxi from Central to here after a night on the town costs 150 HKD. Including tunnel fair.
    So that shouldn't be the reason not to look around.

Name:  ImageUploadedByGeoClicks1380781575.831539.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  33.9 KB

The area behind the Hong Kong Central Library is quite nice. Quiet, but with a handful of western restaurants, and it's a close location to Wan Chai. It's worth looking at!

Original Post Deleted
    What! You mean to tell me someone turned off the Mid-levels AC?! Someone turned on the AC in Sheung Wan the other day... it was nice.

Thanks for the great info everyone.

Is anyone familiar with One Wanchai? Thoughts on the building/location? This place looks pretty good
    http://www.squarefoot.com.hk/property/12422669

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast