Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MovingIn07

Moving to Hong Kong w/ 2 kids & a dog - HELP!

Moving to Hong Kong w/ 2 kids & a dog - HELP!

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are considering an expat assignment in Hong Kong, moving from the US. Any help on areas to consider to move is appreciated.

- Less than 30 min commute (prefer public transportation) to Tsim Sha Tsui
    - Close to international schools and activities for kids (my kids ages are 10 and 7)
    - Close to shopping / dining
    - Convenient for living with a dog (close to parks, open green areas)
    - Budget is around 60,000 HKD / mo for a 3 bedroom
    - We are open to highrise, lowrise, townhome, etc

Any other tips are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

- Mdudiak

You should figure out the school situation before trying to find where to live. If you do some research, you will find that securing places for your children in international schools will be your biggest challenge. Finding a flat is dead simple. There are thousands of them waiting for renters such as yourselves. Feel free to PM me if you would like additional details. We came from the US a couple years ago when our kids were 7&12, so we have been down this road before Good Luck!

As JJohnso says, sort out the schools first. No point in saying one place is a good choice if the only school you can get your children into is as far away as it is possible to get in Hong Kong. And this could happen. You don't say when you are moving, but you need to start the admissions process asap.

There is a guide to schooling here - http://hongkong.geoschools.com/guide/. Be prepared for a hard time getting a place, or have very deep pockets. Debentures are possible to jump the queue, but can be up to 1million HKD.

Last edited by kimwy66; 26-10-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by mdudiak
    Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are considering an expat assignment in Hong Kong, moving from the US. Any help on areas to consider to move is appreciated.

- Less than 30 min commute (prefer public transportation) to Tsim Sha Tsui
    - Close to international schools and activities for kids (my kids ages are 10 and 7)
    - Close to shopping / dining
    - Convenient for living with a dog (close to parks, open green areas)
    - Budget is around 60,000 HKD / mo for a 3 bedroom
    - We are open to highrise, lowrise, townhome, etc

Any other tips are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

- Mdudiak
    OK assuming school si sorted out and in Kowloon (big assumption here)...with your budget and requirement...i would look at Kowloon Tong (30mn to TST easy...60k you will find....many many international schools in the area)

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app

Yes kowloon kong was what sprang to my mind too. But schools first.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks mobile app

vmlinuz likes this.

"Moving to Hong Kong w/ 2 kids & a dog - HELP!"
    What? No wife?

I second the Kowloon Tong area, refining it to Tat Chee Avenue, Yau Yat Chuen. It's located a very short walk to Festival Walk which is the major mall in the area, ( cinema, supermarkets, western book shop, coffee chains, resto's, ice skating rink, etc etc ) and the MTR station, on nice flat level ground.
    Another consideration would be apartments at One Beacon Hill and Mount Beacon, which are off Cornwall road, and again, within a convenient distance from Tat Chee Ave and Kent road for MTR and Mall accessibility.

I've lived in Tat Chee Ave, the first place I moved to when I was first posted to HK. A great area to pop your expat cherry in, that is well positioned to a huge number of schools ( The American International School being one of them ), easy access to Mong Kok by foot etc and even Sai Kung ( beach, mountains, country parks etc ) which is only a short 20 minute cab ride away.

Last edited by Skyhook; 26-10-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Does you company hold a debenture at any international schools already? If it does, that's the biggest hurdle almost certainly cleared already.

Schools first, housing second.

If you want to stay with an American curriculum your first choice would probably be HKIS, which is a very long commute from Kowloon Tong.

Please do not underestimate the international school shortage at some of the more popular schools. Some expats opt not to relocate or move to Singapore rather than get in the long wait list for the schools. I should note the application period for next Fall is already fully underway. If you are looking at international schools you should be on the phone with their admissions offices **immediately** to see if you can get into the process.

All other considerations and recommendations are of limited value until the school situation is sorted, sorry to say.