Couple of questions

Couple of questions

Hi there,

I'm thinking about moving to HK next year with my GF and a dog. We are more or less perpetual travelers, for my "job" I only need internet access, right now we live in Bali.

We would get that 1 year work and travel visa so my GF could do some part time work if she's bored or something. My question is if it's possible to get a 1 br flat somewhere close to an MRT for like 12k that's not smaller than let's say 350sqf? Even that would be pushing it, right now we have a 3 story house for the same price... But we like HK and would love to move to a big city again for a change.

Any areas that would fit above description? I could pay more but wouldn't want to go smaller.

Also do they want to see work contracts and stuff before renting you an apartment? I could just pay 6 or the whole 12 months up front if needed but would rather pay monthly (we tend to decide to move counties on a whim haha).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by question mark
    We would get that 1 year work and travel visa so my GF could do some part time work if she's bored or something.
    1) There is no such thing as a work and travel visa
    2) To get a work visa, you need a sponsor. Do you have one?
    3) For your GF to live here, she needs her own visa. She will need a decent (ie not part time) job that will be willing to sponsor her.

From the way you've written your post, I get the feeling you've not looked into this seriously. Visas are not trivial to get in HKG.

Can't some nationalities get some kind of working holiday visa? I assumed that that was what he was talking about.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Your dog would have to spend a minimum of 4 months in quarantine.

Thanks for the quick replies.

- Yes I'm talking about the working holiday visa, basically you can stay for 1 year and also get a limited work permit (can't work longer than 3 month for one employer etc) for citizens of countries that offer the same to HK citizens

- Are you sure about the 4 months quarantaine? That's the next one I'm researching - if it's true then it's obviously a no go for a 12 month stay and we'll probably just go to Singapore or BKK

- yes I haven't looked into HK all that seriously yet, am starting do do this now as I still have a couple of months left as well as enough alternatives

- Are you sure about the 4 months quarantaine? That's the next one I'm researching - if it's true then it's obviously a no go for a 12 month stay and we'll probably just go to Singapore or BKK
    If you are coming from Bali then yes there is a 4 month quarantine period.

Ok thanks, that's too bad. Maybe something is possible by going via a shortish Singapore stay where they are less strict (as long as the dog has all his shots etc), I'll look into it but I guess that doesn't have to do much with this thread anymore.

Yes I'm talking about the working holiday visa, basically you can stay for 1 year and also get a limited work permit (can't work longer than 3 month for one employer etc) for citizens of countries that offer the same to HK citizens
    OK, that makes sense.
    Are you sure about the 4 months quarantaine?
    Yup.
    12k that's not smaller than let's say 350sqf
    Along the MTR line - you have a lot of choices. The further away you go from Central, the bigger you will get but you should not have any major issues with that budget. I'm thinking you can even get a place on the Island for that budget.

Ok thanks, that's too bad.
    Here are the various regulations :
    http://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/quara..._ipab_idc.html

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Thanks for the quick replies.

- Yes I'm talking about the working holiday visa, basically you can stay for 1 year and also get a limited work permit (can't work longer than 3 month for one employer etc) for citizens of countries that offer the same to HK citizens

- yes I haven't looked into HK all that seriously yet, am starting do do this now as I still have a couple of months left as well as enough alternatives
    Yeah, Singapore is just 30 days (Cat D).