Like Tree6Likes

Rent increase negotiations

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I think rent will come down

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    I think rent will come down
    Some people have been saying this for how long now?
    Claire ex-ax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:

I know of an expat living in a 3000 Sq ft flat, can't quite recall if it's mid levels or Sheung Wan, she only pays 8k a month.
    that is impossible in both areas... either the tenant is lying to you about the rent, you can't really tell how big the flat is, or they are paying that in US$ not HK$.
    bak875, PencilSkirt and SalseroHK like this.

Yawn.

It's 3000ft Sq ft, give or take 100 Sq ft, as I was lucky enough to have looked at the plans of the flat when she was planning to rearranging the use of the rooms. And it is in HK dollars, my 1st thought when she told me was "Damn, she's paying approx the same rent as me, in this big place. How can I get her to move out, and me to the top of the waiting list??"

The landlord is retired and has emigrated to Canada. Has no children, and has about a dozen properties in HK. He's not the type that flies back to HK on a yearly basis. My friend has been living there for 3 years, gets on very well with him through their communications, so the landlord loves her. Her current rent is 8.7k, she's always taking the pee with it. I'd love to know how the rent was so cheap in the 1st year she rented it out.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

I know of an expat living in a 3000 Sq ft flat, can't quite recall if it's mid levels or Sheung Wan, she only pays 8k a month.
    That was before 1965, or?

Nay, 3yrs she's been there.

There are real bargains out there if you know where to look and get connected. I've just signed up a 1600sq ft, 3 double bedroom apartment in TST for 10k. Currently renovating it and will sublet it out as air bnb, the lounge itself is 300sq ft, give or take, so that'll be 4 double bedrooms I can let out. Did think of living in there myself, but don't want to give up my current apartment (rooftop just one floor up is over 1000sq ft, no one goes up there, so my dog has free reign of the place) and 350sq ft sub letting out I can only do so much with it.

Nay, 3yrs she's been there.

There are real bargains out there if you know where to look and get connected. I've just signed up a 1600sq ft, 3 double bedroom apartment in TST for 10k. Currently renovating it and will sublet it out as air bnb, the lounge itself is 300sq ft, give or take, so that'll be 4 double bedrooms I can let out. Did think of living in there myself, but don't want to give up my current apartment (rooftop just one floor up is over 1000sq ft, no one goes up there, so my dog has free reign of the place) and 350sq ft sub letting out I can only do so much with it.

whats the secret/where to look/how to get connected
    pandancake and SalseroHK like this.

6-month lease, legit, brokered with an agent and not some shady dude either (I visited their office, there were people and servers and letterheads).

Checked the contract, no, the increase is not described therein.

I sent LL a response that was as long as a Tolkien novel, having researched similar properties in the same building and in the surrounding area. LL came back with an apparent willingness to negotiate although, did say I was wrong about the increase not being in the contract. Nope. Sent a copy, so LL was clear on what was/wasn't agreed.

I'm now in two minds about whether or not to stay. LL has suggested installation of an oven, among other things. Perhaps if I can get oven installation in writing I'll cop to an increase (just not a 56% increase).

Seems there's heaps of other options in the area so I won't wind up camping outside Brickhouse.

airbnb ?
    I think you need a licence for that !!!

And, yes, many empty places around me and more bldgs under construction. So where will rents go ??

It's 3000ft Sq ft, give or take 100 Sq ft, as I was lucky enough to have looked at the plans of the flat when she was planning to rearranging the use of the rooms.
    3,000 sq feet is massive. Like this is a lot larger than even typical American/Canadian freestanding houses which themselves are large <insert joke about everything in North America being larger>. My parents' three-story home in Canada isn't even that large! Get yourself connected with the landlord! How do I get in on renting one of his properties?

There are real bargains out there if you know where to look and get connected.
    Serious question, where should a person look for such bargains?