Moving to Hong Kong

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by larac:
    Even though you are only recently engaged you should definitely consider getting married to come here because it will mean your fiance can work here without needing sponsorship.

Coming here without that is going to make life difficult unless maybe if she is a teacher. Some people do come and go on tourist visas but depending on where you are from they are generally just 3-6 months long and if you get stopped then that will be it.

Can't even join my local residents' club unless you are married to the tenant, engaged is not enough. HK is very conservative at times.

Quote Originally Posted by larac:
    no reason why it needs to be more than the registry office and they can have a 'wedding' later.
    Indeed - or anywhere you want - the two of you, a civil celebrant and two witnesses. That's all you need.

Thanks again for the replies. I hope this is an accurate representation of how helpful people will be once I am actually there - it would make settling in a whole lot easier.

the marriage thing I suppose i will work out - a registered wedding seems like the simple answer but if tht freaks me otu there is always the fallback of her getting a tourist visa and I will just spend more weekends in macau/on a golf course! speaking of which, if anyone knows how easy it is to play on or off the island, would love to hear more about it. Been playing 5 times a week for the past couple of months and I am depressed that its going to probably come to a grinding halt once i land in HK.

JCT - will definitely look u up for squash one i am there, a little rusty right now but hopefully it will come bck like riding a bicycle.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwildeast:
    I will just spend more weekends in macau/on a golf course! speaking of which, if anyone knows how easy it is to play on or off the island, would love to hear more about it. Been playing 5 times a week for the past couple of months and I am depressed that its going to probably come to a grinding halt once i land in HK.
    There are plenty of opportunities to play golf in and around Hong Kong but they don't come cheap. There's a beautiful public course(Kau Sai Chau) that you can get on easily during weekdays and not as easily on weekends but it's not cheap at around 500HK and time consuming.

Loads of course just over the border in China but you're looking at 1000HK for a day trip. Macau has a nice private club with crappy greens and you can get on if you stay at the Westin or as a guest and that'll cost you over 1000HK. There's a new very crappy course called Orient that may be cheaper but it looks terrible so I haven't tried it.

Biggest problem is that you can't squeeze in any twilight golf here because most people work late and the sun sets early. There are a few driving ranges to go and practice to and many clubs have golf simulators.

You'll no doubt enjoy going to Thailand for golfing, fairly cheap and beautiful courses with cute little caddies. Be prepared for the 5-6somes taking 5-6 hours though... I like to play under 3 hours so that drives me nuts.

If you can keep the excess:

Option (1): Move to the Gold Coast or Disco bay- pay 15K and save the rest - invest the diff and when you are 50 move home and retire.

Option (2): Move to mid levels, save $0.

If you can not keep the excess: get the best place for exactly the amount you get.

But the best advice is: irrespective of any deals you are offered, rent short term for 1-2 months before signing up for longer - so you can properly look around. Don't trust what we say about places mate - trust yourself.

In my opinion, you and your fiancee will be happier in Mid Levels but frankly you don't need to spend 35-45K for decent living arrangements.

As to the amenities in your building, I think it's a waste of money, you are far better joining a club like the Hong Kong Football Club or the Ladies Recreation Club which are very accessible from Central/Mid Levels. If you play squash at a half decent level, you should be able to get in quickly and at a discount(for HKFC). For 1.5K a month, you will get golf privileges in Macau, beautiful squash/tennis courts, nice gym, big pool etc...and a lot more that very, very few residents club can match and a very social place to hang out for both you and your lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    Really not one of the top ten reasons to rush an engagement period.
    I should've read this 6 months ago.

As to the amenities in your building, I think it's a waste of money, you are far better joining a club like the Hong Kong Football Club or the Ladies Recreation Club which are very accessible from Central/Mid Levels. If you play squash at a half decent level, you should be able to get in quickly and at a discount(for HKFC). For 1.5K a month, you will get golf privileges in Macau, beautiful squash/tennis courts, nice gym, big pool etc...and a lot more that very, very few residents club can match and a very social place to hang out for both you and your lady.[/QUOTE]

Out of interest - which club is this in Macau? and is there any similar in HK? - I can hold off my golf abit but I am a tennis addict, is there much indoor / late courts around in HK island side?
    cheers

There are loads of tennis court in Hong Kong and the LRC has a very nice selection, teams and leagues. The HKFC also has six courts but they are not quite a nice, it also has teams and social days.

There are many other private clubs with excellent tennis facilities on HK Island though few are covered. There are also plenty of public courts. The cover is not much an issue since it doesn't rain that much outside of the summer month and many people don't like to play in summer because of the high heat and humidity.

As to the golf course with playing privileges, it's the Macau golf and Country Club which is the nicer one of the two courses there. The greens are usually pretty awful but it's well run and a pleasant place to play, the marshalls do a great job of moving people along.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    There are loads of tennis court in Hong Kong and the LRC has a very nice selection, teams and leagues. The HKFC also has six courts but they are not quite a nice, it also has teams and social days.

There are many other private clubs with excellent tennis facilities on HK Island though few are covered. There are also plenty of public courts. The cover is not much an issue since it doesn't rain that much outside of the summer month and many people don't like to play in summer because of the high heat and humidity.

As to the golf course with playing privileges, it's the Macau golf and Country Club which is the nicer one of the two courses there. The greens are usually pretty awful but it's well run and a pleasant place to play, the marshalls do a great job of moving people along.
    Excellent, thanks. I'll google these up next week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2