Disheartened with rent prices

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Disheartened with rent prices

Hi everyone,

My transfer to Hong Kong has been pretty much agreed upon and I should be flying over at the end of this month for a 6 week period. During that period I'll be staying in a hotel provided by my firm however during this time I will be looking for my own accomodation to move into once I return to Hong Kong in late August.

I can't help but admit that I'm really quite disheartened with the apparent prices of apartments on websites such as hongkonghomes.com and gohome.hk

My proposed salary will be $HK215,000 a year plus an $HK8,500 per month accomodation allowance. From what I've seen on this site this should allow me an 'okay' standard of living (I'm 22 quite a junior member of staff so I don't think I can ask for much more) with $8,500 being reasonable for a nicish apartment outside of HK island. But from looking on these websites there seems very, very little in the way of apartments for my budget.

I'm not by any means dead-set on living right bang in the centre of HK Island, however I wouldn't want much more than a 30 minute commute into Sheung Wan (where my office is). I just can't seem to find anything other than 300sqft studio apartments.

I know that I will have a much smaller place than I currently do in the UK, however I really don't want to end up hating the place that I'm staying in.

Does anyone have any suggestions for nice area's or ideas?

My girlfriend should be moving over in September once she's found a job so thats one way of increasing our budget. I guess at the moment I could go up to $HK10,000 if the place was nicer.

Please help guys!

why so dead set on being no more than 30 minutes commute?

if you up it to say 45 minutes to an hour then you have a lot more choice and also much more for your money, You can get up to 700 sq feet for around your budget if you go further out i.e kowloon side or NT.

Check on Gohome and you should be able to find something in Sai Ying Pun and Kennedy Town under 10K. It will probably be an older building with no facilities.

For more space, newer and better facilities within your budget, try Discovery Bay, Tung Chung or Park Island.
    Commute will be approx 45mins to 60mins though.

via

Can you give us more information? Like where in Sheung Wan? Is your office close to the MTR station? If so you can consider Wan Chai, CWB or even Tin Hau, North Point, or else you may have to consider a smaller living space.

Last edited by via; 16-06-2008 at 10:32 PM.

Yeah the reason for my commute 'limit' is that my current commute is almost 1 and a half hours each way! Losing 3 hours of my life each day is a bit of a bummer, plus I know how much extra work and overtime I'll be doing in our HK office so I'm just trying to ensure I have at least a little bit of extra time for myself! ;-)

I could up it to 45 mins although I wouldn't want to go much longer. I've noticed Kennedy Town, and I'll have more of a look for properties around there. I get free gym membership with my work so facilities aren't a big deal.

How long is the commute in from an area like Tung Chung into Sheung Wan? Or is there perhaps an area on the near side of the New Territories that is within this 45minute commute time that I could look at?

Cheers for the quick responses guys. I know I'll get a better idea of area's/prices when I get over there and have a look around with an agent. I'm just absolutely terrified and panicking about everything to do with my move.

I'll be working in the Cosco Tower beside Grand Millenium Plaza which I understand in near the Sheung Wan MTR station.

well, just to give you a gauge of things

you can ride the MTR end-to-end in about 40 minutes. That's the entire span of the MTR Island Line from Sheung Wan to Chai Wan. If you live near enough the stations, that's about 10 more minutes more each way. I would imagine commutes are long in the UK, especially if you work in London?

Last edited by aquarella; 16-06-2008 at 10:43 PM. Reason: correcting myself :)

yeah. pretty much anywhere on the north side is close to 30 mins...i live in Heng Fa Chuen (one stop from the opposite end from Shueng Wan) and it takes 30 mins to Central...so look a bit farther out and you do fine (Sai Wan Ho, Shau Kei Wan are much cheaper, with local soul, if you're into that...not the sexiest address but def. affordable and within your travel time allowance)

Quote Originally Posted by Ponge
    I know I'll get a better idea of area's/prices when I get over there and have a look around with an agent. I'm just absolutely terrified and panicking about everything to do with my move.
    for sure don't even consider the rates on gohome.com..they are way out of whack (unfortunately often on the low side as rates are going up at the moment) and not updated frequently...you're much better of finding an agent in the local area you want, and above all bargain hard!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast