Like Tree37Likes

Recommend a location for a single bloke!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiz:
    Might want to look at happy valley or tin hau. Some flats have green views and more of a relaxed feel to the places than wan chai.

I've not met a single guy who has been happy with his decision to live on DB, but I'm sure there are some single men who like it out there

Just remember that if you want to date someone... Living on DB isn't going to be a plus point for many single women here.

Find somewhere nice on hk island. Just my opinion though
    Thanks Kiz. I'm interpreting that to mean that the likelihood of bagging a decent single lady, is directly proportional to my proximity to HK Island then?? So now its a flip between whether I want to get laid or whether I want some space and peace!!! Bugger!
    Last edited by SiteJanny; 09-12-2013 at 10:43 PM.

Hotels are cheap. Open space is priceless!

I would be so happy if I had a job in Quarry Bay so I could live in that area and have direct access to the country park behind it. I'm often so baffled by the juxtaposition of the hills/country park and the city. I would think you could get an upper flat facing the hills with a fantastic view there. What about Braemer Hill? (Or North Point) That also has great trails/paths right at your door step, plus you could get a nice walk to work instead of buses and MTRs.
    Another area I'd recommend is Tin Hau -- the area behind the main public library. There are a lot of Western cafes around there and you might find you have more of a sense of community there. You'd be pretty close to nature and work.
    I know it might be exciting for the family/friends to have someone based in HK to visit, but I personally cannot see how people expect to stay over in the small flats in HK. But maybe as a single guy you're far more easy going about this? Anyway, Grunt's advice is very sound. (Keep in mind, a future girlfriend might not want your friends staying over in a small flat!)
    I think you could get a good flat in the areas that kimwy66 suggested, but you might feel a little isolated or detached there without a sense of a (expat?) community. She would know better than me about that, though!
    Chai Wan is another random suggestion, too! I know of someone who has a large studio -- tons of space, and it's quite close to some nice hikes.
    Also, getting to the airport in HK is easy peasy from almost anywhere, I think. From HK Island, you can easily take an airport bus ($40) which will get you to the airport in a about 45 minutes. If you're ever in a bind, then you can hop in a taxi, go to HK Station and get in the airport express. You don't need much time for check in and with your HK ID you'll be straight through to your gate.
    Anyway, try going and visiting some of these areas and get a feel for what's there. It's really hard to tell from online resources. Also, please try walking up Mount Parker Rd. from Quarry Bay and get a feel for the amazing scenery that would be at your doorstep! There is a good reason why a lot of the HK Hiking Meetup group's hikes start from QB station!

HK_Katherine and scrambler like this.

Original Post Deleted
    I'm new to this site, but a little confused. You are saying that someone who appears (obviously we can't know if it's really true, but it sounds reasonable) to do this journey every day is lying? How can you tell?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Original Post Deleted
    At least now there is the tunnel, for those times when a typhoon is coming and you can't make it to the ferry before it stops running.

The worst part of DB is if you party late into the night.

I did just that recently (a very rare thing) and ended up wanting to get home from TST at 2am. Next ferry was at 3:30am and the next airport bus at 2:30am. Decided to get a taxi and try to race the bus departure from the airport. Missed it by 2 minutes and the next one was at 3:30am.

Had I been thinking a little more clearly I would have taken the taxi to the DB tunnel and caught the first bus that came along. Duh me!!!

Got home just before 4am, a few minutes ahead of the ferry.

Original Post Deleted
    In that case, my journey to work is pretty much ideal every morning. Result!

As for living in the right place, no shit Sherlock. I wanted to minimise my commute but enjoy the benefits of DB so of course I picked the right place to do that. Some people live further away so travel for longer (up to a whole 15 mins longer!! wow!) Talk about a talent for stating the bleeding obvious.

Original Post Deleted
    Yes, exactly. The pattern is clear to see.

HAND
    bibbju likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Classic. There are 2 current threads where you're spouting bs and insisting you're right when you're so blatantly wrong it's farcical.

Re. the bonds issue with which you seem to have an obsession, and despite the fact that it's not really any of your business, our New Issues team were notified 3 days in advance. So move on and get some new material.

And commute times? You're just look like a fool insisting you know best when you've never even done the commute yourself. But hey, The Brit knows best. I've only done that commute around 50 times so far. Mea culpa. What would I know?

I take it you're missing picking on MovingIn so you thought you'd try having a pop at me? Poor choice old man. Get over your ego or small dick or whatever your problem is.
    HowardCoombs likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4