Like Tree12Likes

Working around Hung Hom Station - Where to live if we want fresh air?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Working around Hung Hom Station - Where to live if we want fresh air?

Hi All,

The wife and I are moving to HK in a couple months and I will be working around Hung Hom station. We are hoping to settle in an area that can be accessed by public transit, in addition to giving us some kind of nature within walking distance. We will likely be having a dog shortly after arrival as well. Our budget is flexible (15-25/mo?), but we won't be on an expat package, unfortunately.

After scanning the many useful threads and bits of advice on this site, I was able to walk around Sai Kung and Park Island during my last visit to HK. Both of which seem to have some upsides and downsides.

Sai Kung left me with the impression that a car is critical because the commute via GMB and MTR is going to be about an hour. I am not too thrilled about making the drive into Hung Hom everyday and dealing with parking, so my hopes have somewhat fizzled unless there are express buses I don't know about.

Park Island also seems like a strong contender because of the accessibility and pet/family-friendly environment. However it seems a bit claustrophobic and very much subject to the whims of the management company.

I have now started to research the Gold Coast stretch as well as Lantau. Any of the villages (Mui Wo, Pui O, Tong Fuk) on the South Lantau side would be ideal, but it looks like the ferries only go to Central and the bus/MTR commute via Tung Chung would get real tedious, real fast.

Future coworkers have already told me to avoid HK island as everything is overpriced and driven up by bankers with expat packages.

So for those of you working on the Kowloon side, is there anywhere I'm missing? Any tips would be appreciated. Our first month or two will be in a serviced apartment which gives us a little time to get things sorted out, but it would be helpful to have a few areas to focus on from the start.

Thanks!

Somewhere along the East Rail in the New Territories? Direct train down to Hung Hom. Air a little more fresher than in urban Kowloon, but you do get more pollution from China. Lots of countryside to hike in - Ma On Shan Country Park for example.

HK_Katherine and TankerMan like this.

Kowloon Tong. Again, on a direct rail line, somewhat more upmarket than NT but also with good access to hills for hiking and dog walking.

Direct bus from MaOnShan to Hung Hom. Get a seat, take a nap. Lots of fresh air, hiking, biking on promenade, etc. But few expats round about.

East rail line journey is 30 minutes by direct train to Hung Hom from Tai Po, would be only 20 mins or less from Shatin or Tai Wai. More pet friendly out here, easy access to eg Penfold Park for dog walking. Don't worry what you are told about " expat areas". Of course some areas are more popular than others but expats are all over the NT these days, less and less of us are on fancy packages! For your budget you should find something nice out here

Thanks for all the input!

We took a look at the Ma On Shan area when we first visited as it sounds great on paper. The reality really scared us away though. No dogs allowed in any of the parks, crowded/slow MTR, zero "neighborhood" vibe.

We also looked around Tai Po on that trip, but how can I put it.. it was a bit too authentic. Maybe a little too eastern/isolating?

We'll have to look a bit closer at Kowloon Tong and the areas around Shatin on the East Rail Line. I had written off Kowloon Tong as being too urban, but perhaps I need to look again.

I live in North Point here on the island, and when I was commuting to Mong Kok (one station away from Hung Hom), I took a tunnel bus each morning to Hung Hom and then transferred to East Rail to get to MK. My commute was never more than 30 minutes, averaging more like 25. Coming back took a little longer because of rush hour traffic, but I always got a seat because they always start up new 118s (now the 110) for the Tunnel Plaza passengers. 102, 106, 112, and 116 also work.

I like living in North Point because I feel like I'm in the middle of everything. If I want country park, Tai Tam is just up the hill. If I want Central, I could do MTR, bus, or tram depending on how much time I have. Most of Kowloon is never far because of the aforementioned tunnel buses, with MK, SSP, TST all within easy reach. Aberdeen and southern HK is convenient because the 63/65 runs right through here, and there's a mini-bus (69?) that goes to Cyberport. CWB is super close, Central Library, Victoria Park, and all the activities that go with that (CNY night market within walking distance, aw yeah).

Food-wise, we have a good selection of wet markets, including the famous Chun Yeung Street wet market, and the Java Road wet market. Supermarkets are everywhere, including at least 2 bigger ones that cater to more overseas tastes. At night, the Java wet market is replaced with a bunch of popular dai-pai-dong style restaurants. Electric Road has a whole bunch of eateries. We even have some Michelin-rated/mentioned places in YUE at City Garden Hotel and Tim Ho Wan on Wharf Road, another street with lots of popular joints.

There are some newer (and nicer) developments in North Point as well as older (and cheaper) ones. I'm in one that was built in the 80s, and it's perfectly fine for my wife and I (~400sq.ft, $13.5K/month). We were just talking last night about how we could have squeezed 2 of our HK apartments into the living room we had back home, but hey, that's HK living for ya.

So yeah, I guess I really like North Point.

P.S. There's a dog park right next to North Point Ferry Pier!

steve15182 likes this.

Have you considered any of the villages that are close to the East/ Westrail stations, rather than a purely "urban" place? Somewhere like Sheung Wo Che or Pai Tau, by Shatin (I just know those names because of friends living there), or around Wu Kai Sha, Kam Sheung Rd or further out on Westrail.

I agree with the earlier posts, anywhere near the East Rail line is your best bet for a reasonably convenient commute to Hung Hom. Ta Wai and Sha Tin are getting pricey, Tai Po or maybe Ma On Shan might be a little cheaper (if further away).

Quote Originally Posted by joyojc:
    I live in North Point here on the island, and when I was commuting to Mong Kok (one station away from Hung Hom), I took a tunnel bus each morning to Hung Hom and then transferred to East Rail to get to MK. My commute was never more than 30 minutes, averaging more like 25. Coming back took a little longer because of rush hour traffic, but I always got a seat because they always start up new 118s (now the 110) for the Tunnel Plaza passengers. 102, 106, 112, and 116 also work.

I like living in North Point because I feel like I'm in the middle of everything. If I want country park, Tai Tam is just up the hill. If I want Central, I could do MTR, bus, or tram depending on how much time I have. Most of Kowloon is never far because of the aforementioned tunnel buses, with MK, SSP, TST all within easy reach. Aberdeen and southern HK is convenient because the 63/65 runs right through here, and there's a mini-bus (69?) that goes to Cyberport. CWB is super close, Central Library, Victoria Park, and all the activities that go with that (CNY night market within walking distance, aw yeah).

Food-wise, we have a good selection of wet markets, including the famous Chun Yeung Street wet market, and the Java Road wet market. Supermarkets are everywhere, including at least 2 bigger ones that cater to more overseas tastes. At night, the Java wet market is replaced with a bunch of popular dai-pai-dong style restaurants. Electric Road has a whole bunch of eateries. We even have some Michelin-rated/mentioned places in YUE at City Garden Hotel and Tim Ho Wan on Wharf Road, another street with lots of popular joints.

There are some newer (and nicer) developments in North Point as well as older (and cheaper) ones. I'm in one that was built in the 80s, and it's perfectly fine for my wife and I (~400sq.ft, $13.5K/month). We were just talking last night about how we could have squeezed 2 of our HK apartments into the living room we had back home, but hey, that's HK living for ya.

So yeah, I guess I really like North Point.

P.S. There's a dog park right next to North Point Ferry Pier!
    Honestly I dont agree that North Point, or anywhere on HK Island, is a good idea for someone working in Kowloon. Its just pointless to spend more on rent to live on the Island and then commute back out.

But if you are going to suggest North Point and write a post this long about it, you really should mention that there is a direct ferry from NP to Hung Hom every 30 minutes. I've read your post like 10 times trying see if I missed it because fo me this would be the most compelling and sensible reason for suggesting NP but it seems you failed to mention it.
    bak875 and HK_Katherine like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast