What are our rights as a tenant?

Closed Thread

What are our rights as a tenant?

hi every1,

since this is the first time I'm renting a room from an owner, I want to understand more about our rights as a tenant?

1.) what kind of insurances do I have on my belonging against my roommates,Landlord, etc? (i.e..stealing,etc)
    2.) Who is responsible for maintaining the place (ie. broken toilet, etc)
    3.) Lets say I met a crazy Landlord that demand me to move out ASAP without any notice?
    4.) Or any other things that u can think of.

I been renting for almost 3 years now and none of those things ever happened but those are the "what IF" questions. And please also note, I'll be sharing the flats , so i'll be expecting roommates.

many Thanks

Last edited by edwardo232; 07-07-2008 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by edwardo232:
    hi every1,

I'm planning to rent a space from an owner in HK. Before I do that, I want to understand more about our rights as a tenant?

1.) what kind of insurances do I have on my belonging? (i.e..stealing,etc) None, unless you get your own tenant's insurance.
    2.) Who is responsible for maintaining the place (ie. broke toilet, etc) Typically the landlord, but should be specified in your lease, so read it carefully.
    3.) Lets say I met a crazy Landlord that demand me to move out ASAP without any notice? Will be governed by the lease, which usually requires 1-2 months notice. Also, many leases will not allow either party to break for a minimum period, often 12-14 months. Again, read your lease carefully.
    4.) Or any other things that u can think of.

Thanks

See above.
    Last edited by hello_there; 07-07-2008 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:
    1.) what kind of insurances do I have on my belonging? (i.e..stealing,etc) None, unless you get your own tenant's insurance
    None? ack! dose this kind of stuff happens a lot in HK? how do u guys ease your worries? any ways to prevent this??

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

The landlord isn't responsible for your stuff, you are. So if you're worried about items getting stolen, then get house contents insurance, good locks (and use them), window bars, etc. Cost depends on flat size and any particularly expensive items.

Quote Originally Posted by edwardo232:
    None? ack! dose this kind of stuff happens a lot in HK? how do u guys ease your worries? any ways to prevent this??
    Really up to you if you want contents insurance.

I got mine through these guys:

Kwiksure - Online Insurance Supermarket