Like Tree8Likes

Quiet place to live in HK on a budget

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thanks for all the advice, Yeah I was thinking a newer building would be the ticket, but then there is the worry about price. Are double windows the norm in HK? I find that can do a lot of good for cutting down the noise, and newer buildings are much less likely to have constant renovations unless they are so new they are still being built (that happened to me before in shanghai). I really wish more places in shanghai had double windows but it seems only the most fancy apartments have them. I would also like to get a place that has the famous FTTH internet built in, and I gather that is much less likely further out in the new territories.

Last edited by bakou; 02-03-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Single glazing is the norm.

Not an issue if you live in a quiet area tho.

[QUOTE=bakou;2751218, newer buildings are much less likely to have constant renovations unless they are so new they are still being built (that happened to me before in shanghai). [/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. Many HK households completely gut and renovate an apartment before they move in. However, you if you can find a new building where the vast majority of flats are bought as investment rental properties, there might indeed be less renovation noise. Investor landlords typically won't go to the expense of completely redoing a brand new flat (which can be good as many local interior designers go in for hideously gaudy decor)

fanling is more quieter places in hk, if not near the highway, pretty of greenery, on 20th floor, nor insect sounds either at summer or mosquito entering your apartment's window.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    fanling is more quieter places in hk, if not near the highway, pretty of greenery, on 20th floor, nor insect sounds either at summer or mosquito entering your apartment's window.
    also for HK$20k, you get 1100 sq ft in fanling while in taipo, 1000-900 sq ft

15k is a pretty decent budget. If you dont mind travelling Sai Kung is pretty nice and quiet. But if you need to be close to a mtr station its be pretty hard to find a "quiet" place.

I was looking at more places last night, Tseung Kwan O looks like kind of a quieter place while not being so far away from central and having a little bigger houses than the kowloon area for the same price. Anyone know if that area is actually any more peaceful than normal? I checked out Fanling but I am not sure I would be willing to live that far away from a potential job in downtown, it looks like almost an hour long commute on the MTR filled with mainlanders and suitcases every day. I am not sure that is worth it for quiet lol. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by bakou:
    I was looking at more places last night, Tseung Kwan O looks like kind of a quieter place while not being so far away from central and having a little bigger houses than the kowloon area for the same price. Anyone know if that area is actually any more peaceful than normal? I checked out Fanling but I am not sure I would be willing to live that far away from a potential job in downtown, it looks like almost an hour long commute on the MTR filled with mainlanders and suitcases every day. I am not sure that is worth it for quiet lol. Any thoughts?
    yes, mainlanders sometimes can be annoying, but as I catch the train to sheung shui, then change platforms towards hung hom, nice 43 min seated sleep with noise cancellation headphones, I actually travel to shueng wan every week day

yes, it's also far, but has a lot of greenery and parking for a car is much much affordable than Kowloon ( 1.5/double the rent) or hk island (2.5/ triple the cost)

Quote Originally Posted by bakou:
    Where will you work?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast