Like Tree8Likes

Quiet place to live in HK on a budget

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    sha tau kok is dead quiet, no much of traffic sounds either, it's like vast greenery and mountains,
    also one of the cheapest places in HK, ie, some recently rural house are as low as HK$4500 for 700 sq ft, probably entire house at HK$1200 for 2100 sq ft

also one of the cheapest places in HK, ie, some recently rural house are as low as HK$4500 for 700 sq ft, probably entire house at HK$1200 for 2100 sq ft

With water and plumbing ???

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Varying budget? or High budget?

You can scratch Repulse Bay, The Peak, Hong Lok Yuen and Discovery Bay off your list unless you earn a lot of money. Those areas are high budget areas imo. ...
    Varying budget.

The places you list above (extract from my list) are expensive, the others are less expensive....hence why I listed with the disclamer it was for any kind of budget. the rich go to Repulse Bay, the less rich to Ma wan (for example...)

As for hit and miss, I will consider myself lucky but in 8 years in HK not once have we been inconveienced by our neighboors (renovation etc etc) or the area (construction).

And we have lived in Central area, Gold Coast area, Hung Homg and where we are now somewhere in the NT.

I read horror stories on here but so far so good. Hope it continues that way.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Varying budget? or High budget?

You can scratch Repulse Bay, The Peak, Hong Lok Yuen and Discovery Bay off your list unless you earn a lot of money. Those areas are high budget areas imo. Shek O is pretty hard to find a place these days and certainly not cheap either.

It's hit or miss, pray you get considerate respectable neighbors without dogs, pianos, loud children etc. And really hope you don't get a major construction project nearby...
    DB has reasonably priced places. Certainly places which meet the OP's requirements and budgets. But of course DB also has huge houses with pools etc that the "other half" live in.

I got lucky with my flat there. When I get up in the morning at weekends, there's silence apart from birds singing. It's lovely. Until the neighbourhood kids get dragged out by their helpers and the screaming begins. :-( Actually, it's pretty good. No neighbours playing the piano (badly) or elderly Chinese ladies trying to break the sound barrier with their TV volume. And no traffic noise at all!!!
    Last edited by bibbju; 05-03-2014 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    ...And no traffic noise at all!!!
    You say that like its a good thing!!

We live in Happy Valley, right in front of the tram line. The regular screeching is romantic and music to my ears
    z754103 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bakou:
    ...Are double windows the norm in HK? I find that can do a lot of good for cutting down the noise...
    Double glazing is unheard of in HK, but it can do miracles. I installed windows from Germany with special noise reduction glass (10 and 9 mm glass) and it turned my place in the middle of TST into a quiet place. That is the main reason why I wouldn't want to live in a rent place. Unfortunately you don't have the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    DB has reasonably priced places. Certainly places which meet the OP's requirements and budgets. But of course DB also has huge houses with pools etc that the "other half" live in.

I got lucky with my flat there. When I get up in the morning at weekends, there's silence apart from birds singing. It's lovely. Until the neighbourhood kids get dragged out by their helpers and the screaming begins. :-( Actually, it's pretty good. No neighbours playing the piano (badly) or elderly Chinese ladies trying to break the sound barrier with their TV volume. And no traffic noise at all!!!
    The OP was looking to spend under 15k a month I believe. While I don't doubt there are a few people paying under 15k in DB..I certainly would not refer someone to DB who is looking to spend that amount. Not only do most flats cost more than 15k there but the overall cost of living including transportation can be higher.

Quote Originally Posted by hktraveller:
    Double glazing is unheard of in HK, but it can do miracles. I installed windows from Germany with special noise reduction glass (10 and 9 mm glass) and it turned my place in the middle of TST into a quiet place. That is the main reason why I wouldn't want to live in a rent place. Unfortunately you don't have the choice.
    I have double glazing in the master bedroom and it makes a huge difference. Highly recommend. If you can live on the top floor ( no neighbors above you ) that is a huge bonus too.

Most flats in Hong Kong lack " air space " between floors. Thus sound vibrates right through the building.

This chap has NO job. Possibly even NO HKID. So flat shopping with attendant contract, upfront money, etc. seems a bit premature.

HK$15,000 in Stanley, are u sure it's not in a scam, wah fu public estate or 75cubic ft is size, no way HK$15k for Stanley proper, or even possibility that it's haunted

if not, then this place would off been rented in no time
    It's for real - and yes, they get rented pretty quickly. Mate of mine secured one such apartment 6 months ago, said he was told by the then existing tenant that the flat had only just been placed on the market.

I live in Stanley as well, and love it!

I saw one flat in Stanley that is currently listed on the other expat site for $14000 and it even comes fully furnished.