Where to live

Closed Thread

Question Where to live

My girlfriend and I have just moved to HK, we are curently staying in a hotel but are looking to find a one bedroom appartment.

We have a budget of 6-8k per month and wish to be as close to the city as possible.

What areas close to the city are good and what can I expect for my money?

Should I use an agent or is there a good website out there I can use? (have not found any as yet)

Any help would be great.

Hi Oscarg,

I might not be of much help since I'm looking at a different place (in the new Territories) but generally 1br apartments are rather rare in HK. I personally only know three estates that have a 1br layout - Jade Plaza in Tai Po (you don't wanna stay there), Golden Lion Garden in Tai Wai (probably an option, if you consider town not only to be Central & Causeway Bay) and Garden Rivera in Shatin, which has so incredibly tiny bedrooms that most landlords removed the wall in between them... quite a bit remote as well.

I doubt you'd find anything decent on the Island for that price, so if you like to stay central I'd say you better look around in Mongkok. I'm on the same budget as you guys as I'm a student, but be aware, that is a very limited budget in HK.

Good Luck

Thanks er2,

Sounds like your right about the 1 bedroom situation. I guess we will look for a two bedroom apartment in the new territories.

Could you recomend any area in the new territories which is close to Kowloon but is also affordable?

my experience is really a little limited since I study at CU, which isn't really conveniently reached from most places in Kowloon. I'd recommend to look at the Tai Wai area in the NT, you're quickly in Kowloon from there. However for your requirements you might better look at the northern Kowloon area - either east (Diamond Hill, Wong Tai Sin) or West (Mei Foo, Lai Chi Kok).
    HTH...

Lots of places under 10K here.

[url=http://www.gohome.com.hk/english/home.asp]Hong Kong Property, HK Real Estate, Condominium and House for Sale, lease and rent

Depending oh which side of Central you'd prefer, you can find plenty of 1 bdrms in that price range in Sai Yin Pun or Kennedy Town or Tin Hau and North Point.

Also check with Tung Wah hospital web site, excellent value for the properties and no agent fees but often a waiting list

TWGHs / Residential