How safe is SOHO?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

however safe it is , i woudln't risk it if i were u, esp if you are intenting to go out much at nite

Quote Originally Posted by steffyli:
    however safe it is , i woudln't risk it if i were u, esp if you are intenting to go out much at nite
    Any evidence to back up this assertion?

I am with those that suggest that HK is one of the safest cities in the whole world. I might not feel as comfortable in some places at 2 am in the morning in HK if it was not on my regular way home or environs but Soho should be safe for even a single, young woman as is most of HK.

i live in a walk up in soho and it's fabulous - i never feel worried about my safety even in the early hours of the morning. the most important thing to consider in soho is noise - you don't notice it during the day, so make sure you check the place out in the evening if you can.

The HKSAR is in general a safe place. SOHO is a great area if you are new to HK.

Being alert and aware is a good way to keep yourself safe too, no matter where you are. You can be burglarized or robbed in Soho or in Tai Kok Tsui, but the possibility of either is pretty low here. Keep your doors and windows locked.

On the flip side, I know several people who have been burglarized or robbed here.

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 12-12-2008 at 09:38 AM.

Jay- by "robbed" do you mean mugged? If so, where does that happen and under what sort of circumstances? e.g. were the victims local?

I'm curious about the nature of crime here. From what I can tell, opportunistic street crime practically never affects Westerners (or even overseas borne Chinese who appear sufficiently 'western'). However, I've been told by cousins that there is a fair bit of low-level street crime that affects locals.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Jay- by "robbed" do you mean mugged? If so, where does that happen and under what sort of circumstances? e.g. were the victims local?

I'm curious about the nature of crime here. From what I can tell, opportunistic street crime practically never affects Westerners (or even overseas borne Chinese who appear sufficiently 'western'). However, I've been told by cousins that there is a fair bit of low-level street crime that affects locals.
    JGL: yes, mugged, in an elevator in Shatin. The victim was Filipina. My dad's been tied up and robbed at knife point twice at his office in Sheung Wan (He's Indian).

I also know a local who was nearly robbed by a pair of Latinos (most likely Colombian) in Sheung Wan, but she was smart enough to get back out of the elevator because she realized she'd been tailed for a while. She told the security guard and the two guys walked out of the building.
    Last edited by jayinhongkong; 13-12-2008 at 06:53 PM.