How safe is SOHO?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How safe is SOHO?

Found and nice newly renovated apartment in Soho in one of those old buildings... Problem is the landlord says there is no building management and there is no security door at the entryway (of course this means no guard either). I'm a little uncomfortable with the thought that somebody can just walk right up to my doorstep anytime they like. Price is reasonable and it's very near a 7-eleven so at least someone would always be awake nearby. Love the apartment, but I'm not sure how safe this is for a single female.

Do you think there's some way I can get a security door to be installed? But it sounds a bit far fetched, since most ppl living there are long term residents already and I assume they apparently have had no issues with it. Or maybe I shouldn't worry about this at all?

Last edited by blusky82; 14-07-2008 at 12:23 AM.

IMO HK is one of the safest cities in the world, it is a major plus factor about HK.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. If you lived in a house vs an apartment then anyone could walk up to your door at any time and in lots of countries home burglary is common place but its virtually non-existent here.

SOHO is a very safe neighbourhood I think and there are always people around.

I used to live in a secure hi-rise close by and even with door security had people knock on my door unexpectedly which scared the bejesus out of me because with security you certainly don't expect that but those PCCW sales people have a way of getting in no matter what.

Last edited by larac; 14-07-2008 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blusky82:
    Do you think there's some way I can get a security door to be installed? But it sounds a bit far fetched, since most ppl living there are long term residents already and I assume they apparently have had no issues with it. Or maybe I shouldn't worry about this at all?
    Do you mean a security door at the entrance to the building or one of those metal gates in addition to your apartment door? Former would be unlikely, but the latter should not be a problem (and not too expensive).

Quote Originally Posted by larac:
    home burglary is common place but its virtually non-existent here.
    2022 cases of burglary between Jan-May, 2008.
    The Hong Kong Police-Statistics

True, but "safe" in most people's perception is a relative term. The burglary figure for 2007 for the Metropolitan Police district of London (which is, very approximately, twice the size of HK) was 93,894. (Source: Metropolitan Police Service - Crime Figures )

So you are about 10 times more likely to be burgled in London than in Hong Kong.

While we're at it a rough calculation says you are about 20 times more likely to be a victim of violence against the person in London than in Hong Kong.

i've been here 13 years and never had any problem with safety. (i moved here as a single 22 yr old female).

i wouldn't worry about it at all. just lock your doors at night.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    While we're at it a rough calculation says you are about 20 times more likely to be a victim of violence against the person in London than in Hong Kong.
    But even thats getting worse as the 4 stabbings in 24 hrs in London at the weekend confirms.

But yes Soho is safe as long as you take your usual precautions i.e locking the doors when you leave the flat and so on.

The metal gate for your front door shouldn't cost much more than a few thousand hk. But of course speak to the landlord first if you want to get one added.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Noise may be more of a problem, depending where in SOHO you are referring to...

Thanks. I meant the metal security door before the staircase. My door already has a security gate. OK me thinks I will take the plunge.. Thanks again!

That gate on the street is a pain, I have one and I have to go down and open it everytime I have a delivery.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast