Like Tree7Likes

Relocating for Work (Tsuen Wan), Best neighborhood for 25/m bachelor?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by abcexpat:
    Good stuff. Thanks guys. I work for a crazy start-up and I'll be the first US employee on the ground, so maybe you're right about living close, as my worklife will be extreme. The language barrier is a pretty big thing for me, so I wanted to live in a more urban environment and I'm scared of those traditional character menus at food establishments.

I've scouted some apartments in Tseun Wan on GoHome.com.hk, but it seems to get a nice place I'm looking at, in excess of 12,500HKD

For reference I've always lived in California (San Francisco & Los Angeles)
    apartments can be small in HK, for that amount of rent, you may consider full floor 700 sq ft of a 3 storey village house near tsuen wan, some are within 10-15 mins walking from tsuen wan town

also driving and parking is not too bad ( cheap as HK$500 car park space in villages)

SF -> Tseun Wan. you are in for a ....shock ;-)

Serioulsy though, on 38K how much are you willing to put in rent and how big do you need?

Sky prvoided good advice if you want something newer, bigger, closer and cheaper to work (but a bit off the action) and with facilities (ie gym, swimming pool, ..).

TST / Olympic / Mei Foo would be closer to the action (still require a cab back home past midnight most likely) and still close enough to work.

the Island will really tap into your budget, unless you go for a flat share or live in a real shoe box.

10-12K, newish building with gym, on HK island close to the action, your not asking much are ya.

11K for a top floor village house in Tsuen Wan. http://www.28hse.com/en/utf8/property112077.html

imparanoic likes this.

if you spending weekends in lkf and spending additional HK$1500 per month for management fees for nice apartment with gym, clubhouse, swimming pool, most likely, you won't have much time in gym if you like the nightlife,

why not consider, cheaper option, ie, gym membership which can be as low as HK$300 per month

http://www.physical-ppai.com.hk/fitn...on.php?shop=13

If you are considering Prince Edward, you should know there is an old area of town known as Tai Kok Tsui that is bang in the middle of Olympic, Mongkok, Prince Edward and Nam Cheong stations. Its a super cheap area and honestly a bit of a shithole (but I challenge you to name any area of HK that's not a shithole), but a lot of new buildings going up and its undergoing a fair amount of renewal. It's super convenient with 4 MTR stations within a 10-15 minute walk and hundreds of buses and minibuses going in every possible direction. Its quite a secret place that expats seem to overlook but I've been in this shithole for the last 4 years and its not half bad. A taxi home from Wan Chai or LKF only around $80 or they have the 24 hour red minibuses that go to Mongkok and not a long walk from there.

wtbhotia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    10-12K, newish building with gym, on HK island close to the action, your not asking much are ya.

11K for a top floor village house in Tsuen Wan. http://www.28hse.com/en/utf8/property112077.html

Wow, you guys are awesome. I really appreciate all the relevant advice. I am shocked you can have 700 sq ft in that price range. I don't need much, I think 350-450sq ft would be more than enough for me.

Ideally, spending 13k HKD or less would be best case scenario, it should leave me enough to explore HK and travel Asia when I have time. A gym is not mandatory, just a nice thought. I figure, after binging on copious amounts of baked rice and noodles, I will get fat over time and an on-site facility would help circumvent such a disaster. All in all, not a deal breaker.

I won't have a car for my 2 year+ stint in HK, so being close to things is a priority. If I do stay in Tsuen wan, I'm hoping to live within a mile of my office. It looks like I'll have to try to stay in a service apartment for a few months while our office arrangements are finalized.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    If you are considering Prince Edward, you should know there is an old area of town known as Tai Kok Tsui that is bang in the middle of Olympic, Mongkok, Prince Edward and Nam Cheong stations. Its a super cheap area and honestly a bit of a shithole (but I challenge you to name any area of HK that's not a shithole), but a lot of new buildings going up and its undergoing a fair amount of renewal. It's super convenient with 4 MTR stations within a 10-15 minute walk and hundreds of buses and minibuses going in every possible direction. Its quite a secret place that expats seem to overlook but I've been in this shithole for the last 4 years and its not half bad. A taxi home from Wan Chai or LKF only around $80 or they have the 24 hour red minibuses that go to Mongkok and not a long walk from there.
    funny to read this. my father-in-law lives in TKT (though in a new building, that's pretty nice but also expensive). i had no idea it was secret or overlooked. before moving here, i'd visited 4 times and stayed in TKT each time, so to me, HK was TKT.
    It is very central - you're right by Mong Kok, and you can get a lot of places from Olympic and Nam Cheong stations, including HK island.
    When we first landed this time around I was going running through TKT before it woke up. It felt like I was in a movie. That said, I still can't figure out the streets there. I got disoriented each time.

Stop worrying about language. Tsuen Wan is only marginally less easy to communicate vs Central - you can do 90% of what you need everywhere with a little patience, some sign language and speaking slowly. And the other 10% you realise was just not important (like those people who are very picky in restaurants and need their "mayo on the side" and crap like that. You can't do crap like that. You can ask where the bus to Central leaves from and how much the shoes in the window are.....)

Tsuen Wan is on the end of the MTR line from Central, takes approx 30 mins to Central on the train. The party area is another 10 mins walk from the station (to get to your nightlife) and then as others have said a HKD200 taxi home (or a night bus, about 30 mins). So get somewhere in Tsuen Wan near your office (walking distance, avoid the MTR at rush hour!). Main problem you have in Tsuen Wan is that most accommodation is designed for locals so is pretty tiny. But I know two people in my office who live there and neither of them speak Cantonese so it must be possible LOL.

EDIT - I just saw your other point about not having a car. Just so you know, you'll have that in common with about 95% of the rest of the population - many of which live miles from their work and in much more remote places - and have no problems. HK is extremely easy to get around by public transport - fast, convenient, cheap - not necessarily comfortable!

Last edited by HK_Katherine; 19-03-2014 at 08:28 PM.

Take a little advice

Having lived here for 31 years (American), I learned something quite early, "Live like a local, earn like an Expat". Believe me, if you earn like a local and live like an Expat, you and your money will be soon parted. Yeah, as a single, its nice to live near an "english speaking" nightlife, its also expensive. Live local, save your money and go on weekly expeditions. Wan King Fa Yuen, few years ago had a tidy 3 bedroom place for under 9K walking distance to my work in Tsuen Wan, maybe the price is higher, but I would rather have the money in my pocket for adventures, than paying a landlord closer to the "action".
    Natron

HK_Katherine, bdw and Bob Loblaw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw:
    funny to read this. my father-in-law lives in TKT (though in a new building, that's pretty nice but also expensive). i had no idea it was secret or overlooked. before moving here, i'd visited 4 times and stayed in TKT each time, so to me, HK was TKT.
    It is very central - you're right by Mong Kok, and you can get a lot of places from Olympic and Nam Cheong stations, including HK island.
    When we first landed this time around I was going running through TKT before it woke up. It felt like I was in a movie. That said, I still can't figure out the streets there. I got disoriented each time.
    Well I think there is the 'good' area of TKT which is all the buildings around Olympic MTR and shopping mall which is fairly well known, a fair few foreign faces, and quite expensive. But then there is the 'shithole' side about 10 minutes walk in the direction of Prince Edward that puts you right in the middle of 4 MTR stations (5 lines) but there is a lot less foreigners and a much more cheaper and local area. But it's changing and fancy new buildings with gyms popping up all the time. I bought my fancy new apartment here in 2009 and whilst I don't particular like the area it is super convenient for my work in TST (minibus) and the kids school in Kowloon Tong. As far as I can tell its a secret area because very few foreign faces around compared to other areas of HK that are bang smack in the center of the city. Walking around there you'd think you are out in the NT or something but you really are quite central to everywhere in HK.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2