Like Tree7Likes

Relocating for Work (Tsuen Wan), Best neighborhood for 25/m bachelor?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Relocating for Work (Tsuen Wan), Best neighborhood for 25/m bachelor?

Hello,

My first post! I am 25, single and relocating to Hong Kong to open our HK branch. Although I am Chinese-American, I do not speak ANY Cantonese, and only emergency Mandarin.

My salary will be 38,000HKD/month. My office looks like it will be opening in Tsuen Wan, which to my understanding is a local, more industrial area with not much English saturation. I've been to HK twice in the past, but never ventured farther north than Mongkok.

My question is, where would you live ? I have some relocation package to help for a few months, but my overall budget for an apartment is 12,000-14,000 HKD/month.

Ideally I'd live in a newer buiding with around 400sq/ft+ and a gym. I'm trying to pick out neighborhoods right now, but I will likely be working 12 hour days, so I can't venture too far. Any help would be appreciated! I'm currently looking at apartments around Prince Edward MTR.

The areas that would be logical for you to look at would be Tsuen Wan itself...or

Sham Tseng a little further afield , or Ting Kau which is in between the two locations.

Find a real estate agent that handles these 3 areas, explain to them what your requirements are and spend a weekend looking at flats for rent in your budget.

Thanks Skyhook. My first instinct is to live closer to HK island, as nightlife, bars, and clubs are....some of my primary interests in the US. I imagine that trips to Wanchai and LKF will be ritual weekend affairs.

I've also heard English is less prominent as you go further out, so that is also one of my concerns. I'm looking at properties along the RED and Purple MTR lines, but don't know how each neighborhood compares. All I've really heard is to avoid Sham Shui Po

I'd recommend tsuen wan too, rents are more affordable there and it would save time+money living close to work. Don't worry about going out, a cab ride home would cost you under hk$200 back to tsuen wan.

Quote Originally Posted by abcexpat:
    Thanks Skyhook. My first instinct is to live closer to HK island, as nightlife, bars, and clubs are....some of my primary interests in the US. I imagine that trips to Wanchai and LKF will be ritual weekend affairs.

I've also heard English is less prominent as you go further out, so that is also one of my concerns. I'm looking at properties along the RED and Purple MTR lines, but don't know how each neighborhood compares. All I've really heard is to avoid Sham Shui Po
    best of both worlds, live in Kowloon, tst, that's if you can cope with hussle and bustle of tst, seems like a party guy, so living in tsuen wan may seem alienating and boring

hung hom is a lot more laid back and quieter

if your office is near tsuen wan mtr, live in tst, commute 27 mins ( mtr source) 10 mins to lkf

live in hung hom, tsuen wan 26mins ( mtr source), 20mins to central,
    Last edited by imparanoic; 19-03-2014 at 02:20 PM.

Good stuff. Thanks guys. I work for a crazy start-up and I'll be the first US employee on the ground, so maybe you're right about living close, as my worklife will be extreme. The language barrier is a pretty big thing for me, so I wanted to live in a more urban environment and I'm scared of those traditional character menus at food establishments.

I've scouted some apartments in Tseun Wan on GoHome.com.hk, but it seems to get a nice place I'm looking at, in excess of 12,500HKD

For reference I've always lived in California (San Francisco & Los Angeles)

Compared with the Bay Area, life here, other than rent, *can* be quite affordable. That probably doesn't include much in the way of nightclubs, bars, and clubs, though. Those can be quite spendy.

abcexpat likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by abcexpat:
    Good stuff. Thanks guys. I work for a crazy start-up and I'll be the first US employee on the ground, so maybe you're right about living close, as my worklife will be extreme. The language barrier is a pretty big thing for me, so I wanted to live in a more urban environment and I'm scared of those traditional character menus at food establishments.

I've scouted some apartments in Tseun Wan on GoHome.com.hk, but it seems to get a nice place I'm looking at, in excess of 12,500HKD

For reference I've always lived in California (San Francisco & Los Angeles)
    Take the figures on GoHome with a large pinch of salt - and add 10-20%.

Love your screen name Bob Loblaw, haha.

That's reassuring. I grew up in the Bay Area, and currently live here now. Life is certainly not cheap, rent is pretty comparable to HK( I think SF may actually be more), so I'm hoping other expenses are reduced.

Bob Loblaw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Take the figures on GoHome with a large pinch of salt - and add 10-20%.
    Good to know. Any thoughts on short term living arrangements? It is very likely my office will move in the first 3-4 months, so I am a bit weary of signing a lease.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast