Like Tree50Likes

No hot water in kitchen

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

The ll, through his employees, cut off the hot water supply to the kitchen whilst repairing the water supply to the toilet.

The hot water supply to the kitchen therefore needs to be repaired. Cables, pipes and drains are the responsibility of the ll.

He has been notified of the defect and is legally responsible for the repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Same here. Had air con replaced by last landlady.

I'm sure this was helped by a good relationship though. I doubt she legally had to replace it. So I wouldn't say getting angry or withholding rent is going to be the best idea.

Sent from my SGP511 using GeoClicks mobile app
    If the aircon is listed in your tenancy agreement (it probably is), it's part of the lease and she is responsible for it.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    If the aircon is listed in your tenancy agreement (it probably is), it's part of the lease and she is responsible for it.
    Okay usehername, so follow this logic through for hot water supply to the kitchen. If it is not specified in the tenancy agreement, who is responsible?

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    Okay usehername, so follow this logic through for hot water supply to the kitchen. If it is not specified in the tenancy agreement, who is responsible?
    Pipes are the responsibility of the ll.

It says so in the tenancy agreement.

The pipe from the water heater to the kitchen is defective and needs to be repaired.

Therefore the ll is responsible for replacing the pipes from the water heater to the kitchen unless he can.show the damage was caused by negligence on the part of the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    Pipes are the responsibility of the ll.

It says so in the tenancy agreement.

The pipe from the water heater to the kitchen is defective and needs to be repaired.

Therefore the ll is responsible for replacing the pipes from the water heater to the kitchen unless he can.show the damage was caused by negligence on the part of the OP.
    Now I haven't seen Kim's tenancy agreement, but mine doesn't say that. I have just checked mine and it says:

"The Tenant is responsible for the repair and replace of doors, windows, kitchen and bathroom fittings, piping, drains and electricity apparatus in the Premises during the continuance of this Tenancy."

I have seen provisions which are similar to what you suggested but often, the obligation is on the landlord to connect pipes, electricity and sewerage to the premises. What happens inside the premises is usually the tenant's responsibility.

Our landlord has been very accommodating in the past with blockages and electrical repairs (even though he is not contractually obligated), but it seems Kim's isn't. That is entirely Kim's landlord's decision.

I'd say her withholding rent thinking she has some sort of fundamental entitlement is a pretty awful idea.

Have you seen her tenancy agreement?

My tenancy agreement states the ll is responsible for drains, cables and pipes.

I have never seen a tenancy agreement that puts the responsibility for structural work on the tenant. It is not in the tenant's interest to spend money on repairing the ll's property. If I was a ll I certainly wouldn't want my tenants opening up the walls to replace the cables and pipe work with no idea what they've done or whether it's safe.

If you've signed a lease taking on responsibility for paying for and carrying out the inevitable and very expensive, wear and tear repairs to the pipes you could be royally screwed by your ll.

kimwy66 likes this.

Have just checked mine, and it says :

The Landlord shall keep and maintain the structural parts of the Premises including the main drains, pipes and cables in proper state of repair
    Regardless of how essential a hot water pipe is considered to be, my tenancy agreement says the LL will keep the pipes in a proper state of repair. I had a hot water pipe when we signed the new lease, and I want a functioning hot-water pipe now to all the places it previously went.

The LL has previously been fine about replacing old air con units and the hot water cylinder (they put a new one in when we moved in), and these have been the only times we have asked him to do anything.

However this time he was reluctant to come and fix the leak which was quite serious (water coming out of the toilet wall connection, coming up through the floor tiles, and coming through the wall in our daughter's adjacent bedroom). It took him 10 days to send someone round, and then they tried a quick fix and left with the leak worse. It then took another week to get him to send the workman back. Although I thought it was the toilet pipe because the water was leaving a thick salt residue, it is the hot water pipe that has the hole.

I appreciate it is a problem to fix a pipe that, through shitty building style, has been cemented into the wall or floor, hence cutting off the pipe at the tank was the quick fix. But this isn't my problem. It is his to remedy, however he chooses to do. We think the only way around it is to install a second water heater in the kitchen, and to run a new pipe to the sink unit in the bathroom.

Perhaps he has money issues and doesn't want to or can't spend lots of money to fix it. This is his only rental I believe and he lives in the local public housing estate. but his wife doesn't work and manages to dress up in expensive jewelry and showed me snaps of her holiday in Japan 3 weeks ago when she came with the workman the other day.

We have now advised him in writing as per the contract that he must repair the hot water pipe and re-install the hot water connection to all the taps.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    This is his only rental I believe and he lives in the local public housing estate.
    That's typical as well... he owns property but claims public housing.

Kim, maybe you'll scare him into complying, but if you look objectively it is clear he is under no contractual obligation to fit hot water to your kitchen.

Read it this way (which is the way a court would read it):

The Landlord shall maintain and keep in a proper state of repair the structural parts of the Premises.
    The structural parts of the premises includes main drains, pipes and cables.
    I highly doubt relying on this clause to assert an entitlement to hot water in your kitchen would be upheld.

Anyway, I feel like I've said all I can on this. You can choose to take the advice or leave it - but please don't come back in a month or two complaining he's docked your deposit in retaliation.

I would have thought that if there was hot water in the kitchen before the work, and no hot water after the work, then the landlord is breaking rather than "maintaining" the premises?

If there was no hot water in the kitchen when kim moved in, and she was suddenly demanding it at an arbitrary date after signing the lease, then your first point would be valid.

gunsnroses and HK_Katherine like this.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast