Like Tree50Likes

No hot water in kitchen

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12

I had the exact same situation in a village house I rented about two years ago. I had the top floor and the LL owned all three floors. A leak, not our fault, was causing water to run from our shower into the downstairs bathroom. The LL did repairs and we lost hot water to our kitchen. My lease was like kimy's. I argued the point and the ll reconnected the hot water supply to the kitchen. My argument was that we had hot water when we signed.

kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Prefab Sprout
    I had the exact same situation in a village house I rented about two years ago. I had the top floor and the LL owned all three floors. A leak, not our fault, was causing water to run from our shower into the downstairs bathroom. The LL did repairs and we lost hot water to our kitchen. My lease was like kimy's. I argued the point and the ll reconnected the hot water supply to the kitchen. My argument was that we had hot water when we signed.
    Oh, I agree. It's a decent argument and one which any reasonable landlord would consider. It is pretty baseless in the law though.

If I was in Kim and your position, I would do the same - I just wouldn't stomp around pretending I have some overarching magical entitlement, and I certainly wouldn't threaten to unilaterally dock the rent.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles
    As for your scenario, again, look at the contract. Is the landlord obligated to provide doorknobs? Unfortunately standard 2-page tenancy agreements cannot cater for every eventuality.
    Off memory, something light doorknobs wouldn't be covered. However, if the landlord's agents damaged something then would the landlord would be liable for repairing the damage?

Initially I had thought that the obvious answer is "yes" but the more I think about it, the less certain I am on this point though. At least from a purely legalistic viewpoint rather than a "reasonableness" viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles
    Oh, I agree. It's a decent argument and one which any reasonable landlord would consider. It is pretty baseless in the law though.

If I was in Kim and your position, I would do the same - I just wouldn't stomp around pretending I have some overarching magical entitlement, and I certainly wouldn't threaten to unilaterally dock the rent.
    I never stomp, I firmly and persuasively put my pedicured foot down in the nicest possible way. Which has saved the day, and hot water is to be restored to the kitchen via a new hot water heater, and to the bathroom basin via god knows what jerry-rigged mechanism.
    justjoe86, jgl and bibbju like this.

Well done Kim. A good result. A question (with no intent behind it - just for my knowledge) - was it at the LL's cost or your cost?

Landlord is organising and paying for it all.

iliketurtles likes this.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12