Should I expect a housing allowance?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

I am moving to HK at the end of August from the US and I got a housing allowance. I do not think it would be unreasonable of you to ask for a housing allowance since you are moving from London, but as you suspect you might want to keep it within range of your salary so perhaps you could ask for 35% of your salary as your housing allowancea and negotiate down to 25%. Every little bits help, I am sure.
    LG

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    Dire = having to live at a lower standard of living than before the move while doing a harder job.
    Do I understand correctly that you managed to get an employment visa for a secretary?

Jeremy/Grant - thanks for you comments. Jeremy, I appreciate an honest response. You're right in thinking money is not my primary motive, but it is not simply a move to be with my girlfriend either; obviously that is an important factor, but I have had plans to move to Asia long before I met her.

Of course, the fact that I want to come to HK, as opposed to being asked to do so, will undoubtedly work against me. But I also know that my company holds me in high regard, and has gone out of it's way to keep me by offering me this role.

The figures you state worry me slightly though - 30k for a single person as a minimum?? I know prices are high, but surely they can't be that much more expensive than London?? Can they? I'm not really looking for an expat lifestyle, I just want to be comfortable with a bit of space to breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    Do I understand correctly that you managed to get an employment visa for a secretary?
    Yep. I was the one who wrote her job description! She's way better than the local staff we have and is more than 'just' a secretary, we gave her a fancy title to aid the process.....

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    Jeremy/Grant - thanks for you comments. Jeremy, I appreciate an honest response. You're right in thinking money is not my primary motive, but it is not simply a move to be with my girlfriend either; obviously that is an important factor, but I have had plans to move to Asia long before I met her.

Of course, the fact that I want to come to HK, as opposed to being asked to do so, will undoubtedly work against me. But I also know that my company holds me in high regard, and has gone out of it's way to keep me by offering me this role.

The figures you state worry me slightly though - 30k for a single person as a minimum?? I know prices are high, but surely they can't be that much more expensive than London?? Can they? I'm not really looking for an expat lifestyle, I just want to be comfortable with a bit of space to breathe.
    From what I've seen, 30k will get you somewhere just about acceptable in an area closeish to work. We saw flats that were less - around 20-23k but they were in DB or Gold Coast or tiny (but what most people live in!). It's really hard to tell unless you come and look - my idea of "impossibly small space" coming from a huge house in Aus/NZ may be quite different to yours! I know when we lived in the UK houses/flats were much smaller than I got used to in Aus/NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    single or couple 30k
    couple with one child 40k
    couple with 2 children 60k
    couple with 3 children 70k
    That looks about right to me. But my position is more senior than the one the OP described and these things are based on job title. I know several people with a housing allowance a lot higher than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by newsense

as with anything, it is all relative. based on your salary, I would say you could be looking at 20K minimum. of course this may mean you may have to look outside of mid-levels (the horror, the horror) but many decent places within that price range, or even lower and not necessarily in NT. It is all about your own expectations.

I live in a nice flat for under 20k.

It can be done very easily, you just stay away from expat areas...

Cheers all, that makes me feel a bit better, as if I don't get a housing allowance, I was thinking 15-20k max. Don't wanna be spending my entire wages on rent!

Hey everyone,

My company came back to me today with an offer. It was about what I was expecting, 52k per month, but NO housing allowance, just one month stay in a serviced apartment. They say none of there local contracts include a housing allowance.

I haven't accepted yet, as I'm not sure what to do. Although I'm on a local contract, the comments on here are really worrying me. I am going to be living with my girlfriend and I was only planning to spend 15k on accomodation if I didn't receive a housing allowance, in order to save the same each month as I have been in England. But I'm worried now for 15k, I won't even get somewhere big enough to fit a double bed!

What do others think? Am I worrying unnecessarily, or should I push back on my employer?

Thanks again!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast