Should I expect a housing allowance?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

I think you are right to worry. But it does rather depend how senior you are. You won't get much for 15k but would find something especially if you are prepared for a bit of travel (say, 30-40 mins) to get to work. But it is great experience and a fantastic place to live; will look good on the CV in the future too so you might think of it as an investment.

PS - that was 52HKD wasn't it?

just avoid the "expat" areas

we agree with some of the other posters, that if you avoid the expat areas, and are ok with a little travel, you should be fine.
    We found a nice place in North Point, for 30k (we have kids and cats). We don't have an "expat" package, but are here with a local company, on a local package, a housing allowance, but nothing at all like many of the posters. Our budget so far looks pretty positive- many things are less than in the US, even though housing is so high. Manage your expectations, and you'll be fine. (of course, it doesn't hurt to ask for a bit more salary too )

good luck

There are plenty of places around that cost that much and can be quite nice. Just have to look around a lot and don't look in expat areas were there are ridiculously high housing allowances which help drive up costs.

Our flat is 1000 sq ft and under 20k and is nicer than a lot of peoples who are paying 35k and up. Just a 15 min. commute on MTR to Central.

Don't worry it can be done. Many on this board have quite high housing allowances, but there are some, like me, who have none. Expectations are quite different between the two groups.

Since it is just you and your GF it should be no problem. If you had a family than a housing allowance would be more important.

Visa for GF

Just a side note...

I don't know anything about the dependent HK visa but won't the OP need to get his GF a visa somehow if she plans on living here?

Last edited by pandabearest; 25-07-2008 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    Hey everyone,

My company came back to me today with an offer. It was about what I was expecting, 52k per month, but NO housing allowance, just one month stay in a serviced apartment. They say none of there local contracts include a housing allowance.

I haven't accepted yet, as I'm not sure what to do. Although I'm on a local contract, the comments on here are really worrying me. I am going to be living with my girlfriend and I was only planning to spend 15k on accomodation if I didn't receive a housing allowance, in order to save the same each month as I have been in England. But I'm worried now for 15k, I won't even get somewhere big enough to fit a double bed!

What do others think? Am I worrying unnecessarily, or should I push back on my employer?

Thanks again!

I am in same boat as you however I am on 35k salary a month, and I will be working in a very similar field, I dont have experience though (only BO exp.), so I am expecting to find things a little hard, work and money wise.

I am going for the learning experience, change of lifestyle; my motivation is not monetary, otherwise (clearly) I would have a few issues there.

Mat

52K / months is no problem to live in HK. For 15K you can easily find a decent place about everywhere in HK (HK south excluded).

Coming on a Local Contract I am not surprised that you have no Housing Allowance, it is pretty common and a lof of financial professionnal not at Management Level or in Profit Centers do not have any housing allowance...(even being in a Profit Center does not guarantee you one)

You will not have the "expat" lifesyle so many talk about here but you will have a very decent life style (ie, nice but rather small flat if you stay in the center, much bigger if you decide to go slightly out of the so called Expat Area, holiday trip to the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam...., drinks with pals at LKF or Wan Chai....

In short, nothing to really worry about...

The only worry you should have is the gf: will she be working or not? she can't work without visa and since you are not married she won't be on a dependent visa. Additionally she won't be allowed to stay in HK for more than 3 months (unless she gets a job or fly back and forth)

^^^^For all the people concerned about the GF, please see below from poster!

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    My girlfriend is actually a HK resident already, we no issues there...

Quote Originally Posted by pandabearest
    ^^^^For all the people concerned about the GF, please see below from poster!
    Missed that.

newsense... You'll have a blast. You'll be working for a company you know and get experience of a new Country. If you don't give it a go you'll never know.

I do think it's important to bear in mind that the OP comes from London, so I'm assuming he's British, and currently lives in a spacious house.... it IS a big shock to move from a spacious environment to the HK housing situation. I have seen inside people's flats here that are described locally as "large" and my reaction is "that's tiny". I have also seen the spaces described as "small" and my reaction is "is this a joke?". It is all relative - and I would not want to tell the poor guy he will be fine on 15k in HKI when I have seen what 15k buys here... if you are from out-of-town it's a shock to the system! One you can get used to, and still have a fun life, but it's easier to deal with the shock if you are expecting it....

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast