Should I expect a housing allowance?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hamton
    There's a lot of inflated numbers in this thread.

less than 30 minutes commute to Central for $10-20k. The closer to $20k, the newer the building and the bigger the area (at $10k you're looking at around 500sqft on HK Island which is a bit tiny, but not abnormal in HK).
    Hamton

I was looking in CWB...(Think I might avoid the rat-race), however have been told to check out Discovery Bay. My budget is 7-10k (10k at the most) what do you think my chances are of getting an unfurnished studio in Discovery Bay?
    Last edited by pandabearest; 28-07-2008 at 08:05 AM.

I saw a furnished 1 bed flat for 6k when I was in db last year - prices have gone up since then but I suspect stuff is still available.

^^^Wow thats better than I expected... Hopefully didnt go up too much since then.

ALso with the regular typhoons is it reliable to get the ferry to work during this weather? (This was a bit of my concern).

Last edited by pandabearest; 28-07-2008 at 08:35 AM.

Ha ha. If there is a typhoon NOBODY goes to work.

>> Ha ha. If there is a typhoon NOBODY goes to work.

Some of the brits on this site to pride themselves on going to work during signal 8. Apparently that is how the empire was built or lost or something like that ....

Indeed - and the railways still run.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    Indeed - and the railways still run.
    In Hong Kong or the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz
    In Hong Kong or the UK?
    If its U.K then it fails to run if theres the wrong type of snow or leaves on the track

I meant in India actually (it's a sort of running difference of opinion between KIA and me on the legacy of the British Empire).

(But the MTR does continue to run in HK during a typhoon.)

Quote Originally Posted by pandabearest
    Hamton

I was looking in CWB...(Think I might avoid the rat-race), however have been told to check out Discovery Bay. My budget is 7-10k (10k at the most) what do you think my chances are of getting an unfurnished studio in Discovery Bay?
    You can easily get something in Discovery Bay for $10k. Wouldn't it involve taking a ferry to work every day though and limiting your nightlife activities based on the ferry schedule?

But if you're considering Discovery Bay maybe also look at Tung Chung. It's similarly located but has a decent enough MTR link and feels a bit less like an expat-hole.

You can get something in Causeway Bay for $10k. Possibly a small (450-500sqft) apartment in an old building. If you're lucky, a liveable 600sqft apartment... I lived in Causeway Bay a few years back and paid around $7k for a quite nice 650sqft apartment, but I suspect the same place today would cost $10-12k.

You could probably get something quite acceptable (by HK standards) around Quarry Bay/North Point for $10k though.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast