Should I expect a housing allowance?

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

I thought the ferry service in Discovery Bay was 24 hours ? That being the case, and knowing that the trip from DB to Central is 25 minutes, i would have thought it to be quiet convenient for the original poster, that they can escape the rat race, while enjoying a larger apartment / uncrowded public spaces, and still be close enough to the singles action on the northern side of HK Island..

Once the op makes a few friends in DB who might own a yacht/boat, becoming a weekend crew member etc, or the many trails that can be explored in the area, DB will appeal to those who prefer the outdoors.

If the OP can find a decent 2 bedroom apartment in the 7 - 10K price range, and I believe that is still quiet possible even in the current rental market, then DB would be a great location to live.

^^ That exactly what I was told.

I think I will concentrate my search here, It sounds very similar to the quality of life I enjoy now and although the ferry expensive, I think worth it. The running track also suits me perfect.

Thankyou

Last edited by pandabearest; 29-07-2008 at 09:02 AM.

I would stay in London for that crap package.
    Unless you have a serious motivation to live in HK, with such a package you are very likely to get depressed within a year and want to move back.

I would stay in London for that crap package.
    Unless you have a serious motivation to live in HK, with such a package you are very likely to get depressed within a year and want to move back.
    My girlfriend lives in HK, so yes I do have serious motivation to live in HK. And to be honest, you comments are nothing short of ridiculous. I'll be earning substantially more after tax than I currently do in London, and I live a very good quality of life here.

My girlfriend earns 11k HKD per month and she survives just fine, so I really don't think I'm gonna struggle too much on 52k. Maybe we have very different views on what a good quality of life is, but seriously, I think you need to get a reality check.

A positive attitude will get you far in life. I have no doubt you will survive and have fun! Good luck.

newsense: don't listen to half wits turning their nose up at 52k. you will make of hong kong what you want to. there are folk earning five times what you are and are still miserable shits and folk having a great time on 20k. anyway, it is just personal but I think HK pisses on London, hands down.

Shenwen

Well said

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:
    there are folk earning five times what you are and are still miserable shits and folk having a great time on 20k.
    True dat.

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:
    anyway, it is just personal but I think HK pisses on London, hands down.
    Blasphemy!

I did get rather annoyed yesterday though, looking at new apartments in Quarry Bay/Tai Koo... rents have gone up 40-50% compared to last year!

Eventually we found a nice place, only about 20% more expensive than our current apartment, not much bigger and in a similar location, but newly renovated and much better laid out inside. But it seems most estate agents here are bastards who start off showing you terrible apartments that are 30% over the budget you told them... seems they really do save the best for last, which is mildly infuriating when you're spending the entire day traipsing around in insane humidity.

Some of the rip-offs in HK make London seem like a positive bargain in comparison. It's not cheaper, but for the same rental you'd get a place at least twice as big.

But anyway, that has nothing to do with this topic really

From my experience in UK, Malaysia, Aus and NZ, real estate agents of any type are a particular breed of person. While not all "bad" (and I appreciated their particular skills when selling/renting our properties!) they certainly appear to hear what they want when you instruct them!

A positive attitude will get you far in life. I have no doubt you will survive and have fun! Good luck.
    newsense: don't listen to half wits turning their nose up at 52k. you will make of hong kong what you want to. there are folk earning five times what you are and are still miserable shits and folk having a great time on 20k. anyway, it is just personal but I think HK pisses on London, hands down.
    Thanks guys! I hope you're right there Shenwen, cos I love London so hopefully I can't go too far wrong!

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast