Chipped Plaster on Wall

Closed Thread

Chipped Plaster on Wall

Yikes, I need to remove some wall decals (stickers) from the apartment before moving, but removing them also removes a thin layer of plaster(paint?) on the wall, in the shape of the wall decals!

I am worried that the landlord will charge us for this small damage, it was a brand new apartment when we moved in one year ago.

Has anyone experienced something similar? How much should the landlord charge for such paint damage?

Any insight/advice will be appreciated.

Too late now, but you could have got the stickers off by soaking them with soapy hot water...anyway....

If you want to fill in the chips to make it look presentable for the landlord, they have crack/hole filler at many paint stores. Just put a few layers of that, sand it flat, and leave it if the walls are white. Landlord may well be painting over anyway when you move. You may also want to seal it with some primer paint depending on what type you use.

My last landlord didn't care about the nail holes in the wall we left, but he didn't like the big chunk of plaster missing in the bathroom due to water damage. I talked him into believing it was his fault so we didn't pay.

If you are in central go to the shop with all the lights outside on Lyndhurst Terrace almost under the escalator between the two Health Food shops. The guy didn't speak much English but we just kind of used charades to explain what we wanted and he set us up with some filler, a palette knife and a piece of sand paper with a sanding block to fill and smooth the holes in our apartment.

He knew exactly what we were after, I got the impression it was a request he had fulfilled many many times before.

Once we had filled and sanded it kind of matched the paint anyway and it does seem quite common for landlords to paint between tenants.

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions. We ended up buying a can of paint that is the exact same paint for the walls, sanded the chipped areas down, and painted them over. They are much better now, although you can still see the indentations if looking closely. We'll probably sand a bit more and add a few more coats tomorrow.

Even if you apply more paint, you will still see the marks, unless they are very very small. With 5 or more coats it will not cover properly. Just go buy a small thing of plaster, it really only takes 30 minutes to dry and sand if it's a thin coat. If you paint over too much you will end up with a bump, and if it isn't dry you will have it flake off or bubble due to humidity.