Like Tree24Likes

Affordable, commute-friendly, beachfront living in HK - a dream?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

possibly look at Park Island, either flatshare in the blocks or possibly one floor in the village houses beyond....has a beach, bar and community feel...

The one (minor) downside about living on Lamma or Cheung Chau is that commuting can be a little tricky during the typhoon season...

imparanoic likes this.

OP, one thing to consider is if you move to Lamma/Cheung Chau/SHek O etc, and you work a normal Mon-Friday type gig, then the only time you're going to enjoy beach life in the sunshine is at the weekends when these places are PACKED. We lived on Lamma and I grew to hate the weekends because it meant fighting through all the visitors. If, however, you work over the weekends and then can enjoy these places through the weekdays, you're laughing!

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    The one (minor) downside about living on Lamma or Cheung Chau is that commuting can be a little tricky during the typhoon season...
    Usually you get enough warning to get to the ferry piers before they stop service. And even if not, there are plenty of cheap hotels on the island to hole up for a night.
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    OP, one thing to consider is if you move to Lamma/Cheung Chau/SHek O etc, and you work a normal Mon-Friday type gig, then the only time you're going to enjoy beach life in the sunshine is at the weekends when these places are PACKED. We lived on Lamma and I grew to hate the weekends because it meant fighting through all the visitors. If, however, you work over the weekends and then can enjoy these places through the weekdays, you're laughing!
    Head for the opposite direction-go to the city while everyone else go for your slice of heaven.

I confess I've been one of the "guilty" ones, heading to Lamma on a weekend. I do like that beach next to the power plant where the expat residents let their dogs round about. But I keep forgetting the name of that beach...
    Last edited by Watercooler; 28-04-2014 at 11:36 AM.

I live on lamma near the ferry. 25 mins to central and the only time the ferry has been late since I've been here was on public holidays.

Sent from my GT-S5301 using GeoClicks mobile app

Watercooler likes this.

A friend who lives on Lamma said it was pretty much hell on earth over Easter. DB wasn't much better (even the main beach was taken over for 2 days of Kinder sponsored egg hunting).

HowardCoombs and Fiona in HKG like this.

I thought it was bad at Easter too. Then the missus dragged me to causeway bay Ikea and I realised just how serene lamma was!

Sent from my GT-S5301 using GeoClicks mobile app

bibbju likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Head for the opposite direction-go to the city while everyone else go for your slice of heaven.

I confess I've been one of the "guilty" ones, heading to Lamma on a weekend. I do like that beach next to the power plant where the expat residents let their dogs round about. But I keep forgetting the name of that beach...
    Are you being funny? I can't tell. It is called Power Station Beach.

There are villages on Lamma you can rent (at a premium) which are away from the tourist trails and our second place was in one of these places (where Joe now lives as well).

There are loads of secluded hiking trails and one or two secret beaches which the tourists don't know about, but if you want to get a can of coke, on a week night it could take three mintues to walk there, but on a weekend, it could take fifteen.
    Last edited by iliketurtles; 28-04-2014 at 01:50 PM.
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    Are you being funny? I can't tell. It is called Power Station Beach.

There are villages on Lamma you can rent (at a premium) which are away from the tourist trails and our second place was in one of these places (where Joe now lives as well).

There are loads of secluded hiking trails and one or two secret beaches which the tourists don't know about, but if you want to get a can of coke, on a week night it could take three mintues to walk there, but on a weekend, it could take fifteen.
    Well it was an honest question. I have actually been to that beach on a couple of occasions.

There is another beach on Lamma I know (but again forgot the name), where its off-limits at certain time of the year because the sea turtles hatch eggs there. That is a good beach on Lamma too. And a little further away from the main population areas of Lamma.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 28-04-2014 at 08:19 PM.