Like Tree24Likes

Affordable, commute-friendly, beachfront living in HK - a dream?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Affordable, commute-friendly, beachfront living in HK - a dream?

Hi all - I'm looking to move somewhere in Hong Kong that's close to the beach and has a stronger sense of local community and an island vibe. Somewhere you can return after a long day at work and chill at the neighbourhood pub or cafe with the regulars, before going for an evening swim.

Also looking to move somewhere that's much cheaper than Central, preferably not more than $10K/month, and that doesn't take more than an hour to commute to Causeway Bay. I would love to live on Lamma or Mui Wo but I'm wondering about the commute. Shek O might be an option though it also seems to be more than an hour to get in to CWB.

I'm curious to know where such a perfect place, if it exists, can be found in HK. And it would also be great to hear from folks who already get to live this life (jealous!) and some of the pros/cons you've experienced.

Background if it helps: I'm in my late 20s, have no family considerations, miss California's organic farmers' markets.

Thanks!

Last edited by almondize; 27-04-2014 at 09:27 PM.

Lamma is about 25 mins on the ferry, if I remember correctly.

Cheung chau is an option, get yourself out there and take a look at agents

Discovery bay possible if you live on the outskirt plus small/older flats.

Quote Originally Posted by almondize:
    Hi all - I'm looking to move somewhere in Hong Kong that's close to the beach and has a stronger sense of local community and an island vibe. Somewhere you can return after a long day at work and chill at the neighbourhood pub or cafe with the regulars, before going for an evening swim.

Also looking to move somewhere that's much cheaper than Central, preferably not more than $10K/month, and that doesn't take more than an hour to commute to Causeway Bay. I would love to live on Lamma or Mui Wo but I'm wondering about the commute. Shek O might be an option though it also seems to be more than an hour to get in to CWB.

I'm curious to know where such a perfect place, if it exists, can be found in HK. And it would also be great to hear from folks who already get to live this life (jealous!) and some of the pros/cons you've experienced.

Background if it helps: I'm in my late 20s, have no family considerations, miss California's organic farmers' markets.

Thanks!
    if you live in the out lying islands, commute during/before/after typhoons is a nightmare, even on weekends evenings, it's not great and can be a chore, or on commuting during rainy days, not nice at all

why not consider tseung kwan o, 35-45 mins to central via mtr, 20mins to cwb, probably 400 sq ft apartment entirely for yourself, less than hour minibus/bus during weekend nignts, more importantly, 15-20mins to silverstrand beach or clear water bay beach, basically no bad compromise on living on a island that relies not so frequent ferry

Lamma & MuiWo with their fast ferries are the only practical options for you. All other beach areas with decent communities are either too far or above your budget.

Original Post Deleted
    ...if you like Alcatraz...joking...I live there and enjoy it...but still looking for the vibe...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    if you live in the out lying islands, commute during/before/after typhoons is a nightmare, even on weekends evenings, it's not great and can be a chore, or on commuting during rainy days, not nice at all

why not consider tseung kwan o, 35-45 mins to central via mtr, 20mins to cwb, probably 400 sq ft apartment entirely for yourself, less than hour minibus/bus during weekend nignts, more importantly, 15-20mins to silverstrand beach or clear water bay beach, basically no bad compromise on living on a island that relies not so frequent ferry
    Tko dont think will find a decent place under 10k there?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

OP has a choice. Live on one of the islands - and get good quality of life at weekends (although lots of day trippers at weekends) - but have to put up with a longer commute (walk to ferry, ferry ride, walk to MTR or slow bus ride to Causeway Bay).

Or, live close to work. Short commute, but higher rent. Maybe consider Happy Valley. No beach, but there is some sense of local community, and neighbourhood pubs or cafes with the regulars.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    OP has a choice. Live on one of the islands - and get good quality of life at weekends (although lots of day trippers at weekends) - but have to put up with a longer commute (walk to ferry, ferry ride, walk to MTR or slow bus ride to Causeway Bay).

Or, live close to work. Short commute, but higher rent. Maybe consider Happy Valley. No beach, but there is some sense of local community, and neighbourhood pubs or cafes with the regulars.

living on hk island with that budget, 120-150 sq ft shoebox?, yeah, going out is nice, but living in a cramped apartment where you can't even swing a mouse ( let alone a cat) is not fun at all

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast