looking for a room to share

Reply
  1. #1

    looking for a room to share

    Hi everyone,

    I am from Toronto. and I got a teaching job in Aberdeen recently. The thing is the school does not provide anything about accommodation. I have to look for it by myself.

    can anyone give me any information or website to look for a flat to share? I heard about South Horizons from this forum. How can i find any available flat to rent there?

    I will arrive HK at Mid. Aug. so it is quite urgent. Any input will be appreciated.

    thanks,

    Brenda


  2. #2

    Sounds like you have to pay out of pocket for lodging? These are the cheapest ones from my research which are somewhat reputable. There are cheaper ones, but the reviews on them are not consistent.

    my research was mainly concentrating in Causeway Bay because that's where my office is. I ended up staying at Empire and although small, they are clean and has a separate bathroom. unlike some budget places, the bathroom is a glass enclosure within the room.

    hope this helps:
    Google Docs - HK Apartments

    For flats to share:
    Hong Kong Apartments - Serviced Apartments - Property | AsiaXPAT.com
    Hong Kong Apartment Rentals | Property Rentals | Offices Space - Classifieds
    hong kong rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist
    Unfortunately craigslist isn't huge in HK

    My friends have sent me some other sites, but they're mainly locals I think, you'll probably want to room with expats.

    Last edited by beararchives; 31-07-2008 at 11:35 AM.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,905

    Your best bet are on this site and Asiaxpat. Also try to contact with the school and see if someone wants to share for a time. There are two large international schools in Aberdeen(Canadian and Singapore) and I believe a Victoria Pre School so you could also contact the other ones to see if anyone needs a flatmate...


  4. #4

    thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by beararchives:
    Sounds like you have to pay out of pocket for lodging? These are the cheapest ones from my research which are somewhat reputable. There are cheaper ones, but the reviews on them are not consistent.

    my research was mainly concentrating in Causeway Bay because that's where my office is. I ended up staying at Empire and although small, they are clean and has a separate bathroom. unlike some budget places, the bathroom is a glass enclosure within the room.

    hope this helps:
    Google Docs - HK Apartments

    For flats to share:
    Hong Kong Apartments - Serviced Apartments - Property | AsiaXPAT.com
    Hong Kong Apartment Rentals | Property Rentals | Offices Space - Classifieds
    hong kong rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist
    Unfortunately craigslist isn't huge in HK

    My friends have sent me some other sites, but they're mainly locals I think, you'll probably want to room with expats.
    thanks for sharing.

    I noticed there are some studios. But the thing is it seems VERY small, and expensive. just wonder, what is the benefit for that? privacy? or what else?

    BTW, i do not mind to share with locals...
    Last edited by BrendaHK2003; 31-07-2008 at 06:19 PM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Your best bet are on this site and Asiaxpat. Also try to contact with the school and see if someone wants to share for a time. There are two large international schools in Aberdeen(Canadian and Singapore) and I believe a Victoria Pre School so you could also contact the other ones to see if anyone needs a flatmate...
    really good suggestion.

    but is it ok to send email to another school and look for flatmate?

    HAVE U EVER SEEN THIS BEFORE? curious and thanks.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,905

    Not common but I've seen a post on a bulletin board once... Your best bets are really the ads on Geo and Asiaxpat for flat sharing. That's what people use the most...


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Not common but I've seen a post on a bulletin board once... Your best bets are really the ads on Geo and Asiaxpat for flat sharing. That's what people use the most...
    ok,. but seem not that many people are looking for that area. most are based on central.....

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,905

    As I said most single people prefer to live Mid-Level/CWB/Wanchai/Happy Valley. That's where you're most likely to find a flat share on short notice.

    The other option is for you to get the flat and find someone to share...


  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Not common but I've seen a post on a bulletin board once... Your best bets are really the ads on Geo and Asiaxpat for flat sharing. That's what people use the most...
    do u work in any school?