Like Tree47Likes

Non-expat areas (for living)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Well OP, by the options you stated, you can pretty much live anywhere in HK, so long as it is close to MTR.

If you are looking for non-expat areas, you can try North Point, Kwun Tong, Mongkok, Mei Foo, heck the list can go on and on. Mind you, some of these non-expat areas are very much working class neighbourhoods, so its dense living quarters and little in the way of parks or greenery. But you said you want to mix with locals and avoid expat areas, so that is what you may expect.

Last edited by Watercooler; 30-04-2014 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia
    during the last really good thunderstorm, my mrs made me go get stuff from the garden, everytime I stepped out BOOM, lighting strike up in the hills nearby, quickly ran for cover inside, waited a while and went out again, BOOM another one, Someone up there was telling me to stay inside the house.

@ Sangaru, look at Tseung Kwan O, this area is getting better and better, cycling lanes around the whole of TKO, running stadium, this week a new Skate board park is opening up, lawn bowl park, minutes away from beaches, there is now even a Ruby Tuesdays thats opened up Woohoo
    and a Lab-Made Ice Cream! (cue the ice-cream snob debate...)

Looking forward to getting into the new park beside the velodrome! Open lawns for kids to play on, lakes, climbing wall...nice to have another option nearer than Jordan Valley. LCSD seems to be cluing in that grass in parks is for people to enjoy, not for fencing off.
    Last edited by anothercanuck; 30-04-2014 at 10:02 AM.
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by anothercanuck

Looking forward to getting into the new park beside the velodrome! Open lawns for kids to play on, lakes, climbing wall...nice to have another option nearer than Jordan Valley. LCSD seems to be cluing in that grass in parks is for people to enjoy, not for fencing off.
    Junk Bay is considered a new town area, so the government has more room to plan green areas, recreational areas and just have generally better planning.

Of course, if the OP don't mind the longer commute time, he can also consider also new town areas like Sheng Shui and Fanling.

If he wants inner urban non-expat area however, he may have to put up with dense urban environment and noise.

plenty of room in 'urban' parks to rip out the paving stone and plant grass...hopefully the tren dwill continue to our more established parks in the future...frustrating to go to the largish (for Hong Kong) central lawn in Vic Park and see it fenced off with security patrolling...and now the perfect op for West Kowloon....hope they don't cock that up too...

Watercooler likes this.

plenty of room in 'urban' parks to rip out the paving stone and plant grass...hopefully the tren dwill continue to our more established parks in the future...frustrating to go to the largish (for Hong Kong) central lawn in Vic Park and see it fenced off with security patrolling...and now the perfect op for West Kowloon....hope they don't cock that up too...
    You nailed it anothercanuck. So many so-called urban parks and gardens in urban areas is paved with concrete and then maybe with an odd plant here or two. But hardly any grass area. Its laughable. Its like the government here has an allergy to grass for some reason. The only major exceptions is HK park and Victoria park, but if you are talking about those neigbourhood corner garden/park, its ridiculous. Its a concrete seating area with an odd (and unattractively planted) tree or bush.

Speaking of which, I heard there is proposal to turn one of the main Central road lanes into a pedestrian park/walkway. That seems like an interesting idea. But I doubt the government, given its lack of vision, will accept that.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 30-04-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Lab-made Ice Cream??? where is this in TKO, whats it called, might give it a try.
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia
    Lab-made Ice Cream??? where is this in TKO, whats it called, might give it a try.
    Now you've tempted me, I want to give it a try too now.

http://www.labmade.com.hk/
    The only one I know is in Tin Hau and I've never had the pleasure of trying it. Whenever I walk in front of it, there is such a huge queue, I cant be bothered to wait.....

Hoping the TKO location is a bit more accessible.

googled and found it.

Shop 3, Food Point, 1/F., East Point City Shopping Arcade, 8 Chung Wa Road, Hang Hau, Tseung Kwan O
    http://www.openrice.com/english/rest...=169058&tc=sr1
    Last edited by wtbhotia; 30-04-2014 at 10:56 AM. Reason: adding Hang Hau in the address

I think there is one of those liquid nitrogen ice cream places at the entrance to knutsford terrace.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast