where should i settle down?

Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    51

    where should i settle down?

    Hi everyone,

    I am from Toronto. and I got an offer to teach in an international school at Wong Chuk Hang ( Aberdeen) in HK. I am happy that I get the job there. But the thing is they do not offer any housing allowance, so I have to pay the house and look for the flat by myself.

    Just a question: should i look for a flat at central / Wan Chai, or somewhere close to my school at Aberdeen? seems more choice at central, but i heard of the traffic at HK tunnel. ( is the traffic really bad there? ) . Aberdeen seems not bad, but i did not see that much choice from there.

    where should i go? any suggestion?

    How about somewhere near HKU? how is the traffic for Pok Fu Lam Rd to Aberdeen?

    thanks for any thought....


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Clear Water Bay (In Da Jungle)
    Posts
    10,055

    South Horizon's in Ap Lei Chau might be good for you. 10-15 mins to Wong Chuk Hang.


  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Posts
    14,644

    What is your budget? Central can be horribly expensive.


  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    51

    thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia
    South Horizon's in Ap Lei Chau might be good for you. 10-15 mins to Wong Chuk Hang.

    But I cannot fing website for that.

    or is there any agent for that?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,907

    The tunnel traffic isn't a problem at all, it takes less than half an hour from Wanchai or CWB to go there. Depending on the school, you can take their own bus from a variety of places and it's early enough you don't get caught. The worse part is the last km because there are several schools there and it's small road so the traffic is very heavy between 7:35 and 8 so you have to get there early.

    Ap Lei Chau is a popular place for couples teaching there but singles tend to prefer either the western district(Kennedy Town to Sheung Wan) if you want cheap or CWB, Happy Valley and Wanchai for convenience. There's a public bus that goes through Pok Fu Lam straight there.

    [URL="http://www.gohome.com.hk"]?

    Last edited by gilleshk; 29-07-2008 at 08:33 AM. Reason: URL problems

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk
    The tunnel traffic isn't a problem at all, it takes less than half an hour from Wanchai or CWB to go there. Depending on the school, you can take their own bus from a variety of places and it's early enough you don't get caught. The worse part is the last km because there are several schools there and it's small road so the traffic is very heavy between 7:35 and 8 so you have to get there early.

    Ap Lei Chau is a popular place for couples teaching there but singles tend to prefer either the western district(Kennedy Town to Sheung Wan) if you want cheap or CWB, Happy Valley and Wanchai for convenience. There's a public bus that goes through Pok Fu Lam straight there.

    [URL="http://www.gohome.com.hk"]?
    thank you so much.

    what is the rush hours in the mornings and evenings for the tunnel usually?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,907

    The traffic is actually going the other way mostly so the tunnel really isn't much of an issue except sometimes Friday from 5-7pm and it's mostly because of the traffic after the tunnel. Morning is not a problem at all...


  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk
    The traffic is actually going the other way mostly so the tunnel really isn't much of an issue except sometimes Friday from 5-7pm and it's mostly because of the traffic after the tunnel. Morning is not a problem at all...

    what did you mean "The traffic is actually going the other way mostly"

    what is the OTHER WAY?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22

    i am living in south horizons. if you have any questions or if you need any help, send me private messages

    good luck!

    if you work in wong chuk hang, i can assure you that south horizons is the best option

    dont care about the tunnel for you dont need to get through the tunnel to arrive wong chuk hang.


  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,907

    Sorry I meant if you live in CWB or Wanchai, you are heading to the South Side and the traffic is going from South Side to Central/CWB

    If you live in Aberdeen/Ap Lei Chau then you don't have a tunnel to go through and you can actually walk if you don't mind 30-45 min

    If you're a home body, you'll probably prefer South Horizon or Sham Wan. It's quiet and has good facilities. They also have nice club house with gym/pool etc... Most single people I know prefer to live in Wanchai/CWB/Mid Level and Happy Valley where there is more action, closer to restaurants and a more active social life.


Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast