Looking for six months rental of apartment

Closed Thread

Looking for six months rental of apartment

My wife and I are coming to HK in July for about 6 months. We were wondering if it is possible to rent a furnished apartment for 6 months rather than for a year. We don't really want to go for the serviced apartment option, as these units tend to be quite a bit more expensive than a regular apartment.

All tips are welcome!

It's possible, but you have to negotiate with the landlord. Quite likely you will need to need to pay a premium on your monthly rent as landlords prefer 12-24 month contracts. You would also still need to pay the normal commission to the agent (1/2 month).

You can also work in the other direction. Look at people who rent by the day and by the week and make them an offer to rent for 6 months. www.airbnb.com is a good place to start - you can get entire flats there while avoiding the single room ones.

Harbourfront Horizon does a 6 month contract.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    You can also work in the other direction. Look at people who rent by the day and by the week and make them an offer to rent for 6 months. www.airbnb.com is a good place to start - you can get entire flats there while avoiding the single room ones.
    Thanks! I had not thought about Air BNB, but you are right. Plenty of choice there.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

There's also vrbo.com.

Check out Manhattan Heights in Kennedy Town. It is a service apartment but I think it is cheaper than those in mid levels.

Look under the break lease listings too. I just got one there