Like Tree29Likes

Moving to HK, working at ICC, looking for a 1Br at Jordan or TST

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

I am a fresh grad moving to HK from Boston and I am trying to find a 1br close to work. I will work in the ICC and am only now finding that HK is expensive.

My budget for rent is about $19,000
    Criteria:
    15 min walk to ICC
    1 br not studio
    gym
    doorman
    full kitchen

Some of the places I have looked at online are above $23,000 which I cant afford. If anyone has any advice I would gladly appreciate it. If anyone in my situation is looking to share a 2br I would also be open to that.

Does anyone have advice on what phone service provider to go with? Whether to buy a phone separate or do they have phone contracts there?

Last edited by sekwai; 12-06-2014 at 01:18 AM.

I recommend the Olympic area. It's only 1 stop on the MTR and you should be able to find a decent place within your budget.

They have loads of phone plans here (sim only and bundles). Once you get here shop around and choose one that works best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Last edited by jmbf; 12-06-2014 at 08:38 AM.
    sekwai likes this.

I am considering that, but I will be working a lot and want to walk to work. What is the olympic area like? I would preferably like to live in an area with lots of other young professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by sekwai
    I am considering that, but I will be working a lot and want to walk to work. What is the olympic area like? I would preferably like to live in an area with lots of other young professionals.
    Your budget doesn't allow you to be that picky.
    Not fun walking to work in 30 plus degrees weather in office clothes either
    What hours will you be working?
    Last edited by jimbo; 13-06-2014 at 07:05 AM.

i recommend looking at lai chi kok, pacifica estate, you can get a 550-600 sq ft for HK$18k, it's only 18 minutes to kowloon station

Last edited by imparanoic; 13-06-2014 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    i recommend looking at lai chi kok, pacifica estate, you can get a 550-600 sq ft for HK$18k, it's only 18 minutes to kowloon station
    Actually you can get them for around 15k to 16k.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app
    imparanoic likes this.

Il probably be working from 8am till close to midnight. So pretty long hours.

Il look into those places.

Where do ppl out of college usually live?

Due to the ICCs location, it won't be a pleasant walk. Heavy construction of the express railway station next door, pollution, heat and humidity all factor in.

If you really want a young expat crowd, Central / Mid-levels / Sheung Wan will be your best bet.

On the other hand, Olympic is still a nice area, there are expats there and it is closer to your office. You will get a larger place inside a newer development within your budget too.

sekwai and imparanoic like this.

>> Where do ppl out of college usually live?

In Hong Kong, with their parents.

sekwai, Dankleness, Cwbguy and 2 others like this.

^^ Haha! Very true as it is expensive for them to live out on their own. Young people live all over the this town. There isn't one area that they are just in. Plus you will be eating and hanging out with them everywhere.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast