Like Tree5Likes

Tricky question for young family

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tricky question for young family

Hi,

Hoping I can get some advice on where to live for our imminent move to HK.
    The scenario:
    -job is near the airport
    -kids primary school is in Midlevels
    -recent visit to HK gave us the impression that living in Midlevels is not exactly pram/stroller friendly and poor air quality
    -liked Repulse Bay area, but suspect the commute for both the kids and I will be a disaster (how bad an idea is getting a car?)
    -checked out Discovery Bay and it felt a bit odd, but also, not sure about the commute for little ones
    -looking for at least 3 bdrm with an ideal budget of 75k, but can go higher

Thoughts??
    Thanks!

How many kids? How old are they?
    Which school are the kids going to?

Air quality is about the same everywhere.

Kids are 5 yrs old, 3 yrs and a baby

Have you confirmed places at the school?

Hmmm, really a tricky one. Kowloon Station would make sense geographically (airport express to the airport - less than 20 mins, Western Tunnel to Island side and then Mid-levels - approx 20 mins). Plenty of nice 3 bedroom apartments within your budget and it is a nice child-friendly area with lots of facilities.

Can't do much about the air quality - it's pretty bad everywhere.

With everything you described, I would choose Discovery Bay!!!!

Check with the school re: school bus pickup at Central pier...odd as it feels, Disco Bay does fit pretty well...on your budget there you might score a house with a patch of lawn as well...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf

Can't do much about the air quality - it's pretty bad everywhere.
    yes and no... not that it's great anywhere, but it does make a difference how much time you're spending alongside major roadways with lots of car exhaust. there's nothing specific to HK about this, of course - being alongside a highway with lots of car exhaust is bad for you wherever you are. But there are parts of HK where you spend a lot of time walking alongside busy roads and parts where that's avoidable. whenever we're spending a lot of time by my father in law's in west kowloon/mongkok area we wind up breathing in a lot more crap than we do when out in our little corner of the NT.
    obviously, when the wind turns and start's blowing all of the mainland factories's soot onto HK our air still sucks.
    closedcasket likes this.

Check out what areas your schools buses will pick up from and use that as a basis for more investigation.

Proplus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by canaus1
    Hi,

Hoping I can get some advice on where to live for our imminent move to HK.
    The scenario:
    -job is near the airport
    -kids primary school is in Midlevels
    -recent visit to HK gave us the impression that living in Midlevels is not exactly pram/stroller friendly and poor air quality
    -liked Repulse Bay area, but suspect the commute for both the kids and I will be a disaster (how bad an idea is getting a car?)
    -checked out Discovery Bay and it felt a bit odd, but also, not sure about the commute for little ones
    -looking for at least 3 bdrm with an ideal budget of 75k, but can go higher

Thoughts??
    Thanks!
    IMO, i would move close to kids school

depends which part of mid levels, if western part, consider sheung wan/ sai ying pun, prioritize the kids so they don't have to commute much ( thus, less journey on stroller/by feet) also western tunnel to kowloon is a direct motorway link to the airport and isn't very busy even during rush hour ( most expensive one) thus, driving is doable and not a chore and takes 25-30 mins to air port once u get on connaught rd west) , as the other tunnels could be a long as 45 mins traffic jam ( plus not a direct link to airport) just get to kowloon

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast