Like Tree2Likes

Best place to live? Island vs. Kowloon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

for 9k, in hk island, probably get a shoebox at 200 sq ft with no lift and many flights of stairs, in kowloon, probably 350 sq ft with a lift

Op did say spending up to 15k....

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi92:
    Hi there, thanks for your reply

I am on a professional visa, however, my partner has found it particularly difficult to find a job which sponsers a working visa. Due to being unqualified, a lot of the jobs he has looked at are given to locals. He is well trained in the airline industry, but has found these all require Cantonese speaking applicants.

No, we are not married so unfortunately he cannot get a visa as my dependent.

The goal Is for him to work in a restaurant for a little while until he can find something more desirable that will give him a working visa. He is currently on a workig holiday visa.

Less than ideal circumstances I agree, but thought the $ may be worth it to set up with. Luckily we will have Monday nights off together, all day Sunday and Saturday until 5pm.

Any advice on finding jobs that support work visas?
    Also my wage is only 23k and allowance 9k so would this be realistic if my partner chose not to work?

Thanks!!
    If your partner is so inclined he could get a TEFL / CELTA and he would have a chance at getting work at a language centre. It wouldn't be great work and it wouldn't be high pay but I'm guessing it would be better than waiting tables. Do that for a year or so and then he can start looking for a better teaching position (or something else).

It is definitely possible for 2 to survive in HK on your salary (assuming 23K plus 9K housing allowance) but you will have to be careful with your spending. Check out the 'Frugal Expats' section for living costs and how to live cheaply here.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    If your partner is so inclined he could get a TEFL / CELTA and he would have a chance at getting work at a language centre. It wouldn't be great work and it wouldn't be high pay but I'm guessing it would be better than waiting tables. Do that for a year or so and then he can start looking for a better teaching position (or something else).

It is definitely possible for 2 to survive in HK on your salary (assuming 23K plus 9K housing allowance) but you will have to be careful with your spending. Check out the 'Frugal Expats' section for living costs and how to live cheaply here.
    The bolded. As your partner only has 12 months on a WHV, they have to make plans for when it expires.

Agree, use this time wisely. He must decide what he wants to do (or can do) and work towards getting the certification required and then start looking for work.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2