Like Tree2Likes

Best place to live? Island vs. Kowloon

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Best place to live? Island vs. Kowloon

Hi guys!

I am moving to HK from little old NZ, with my partner in two weeks time.

I will be working as a teacher in Kowloon, Ho Man Tin,working 8-4pm, and my partner will be working 5pm-1am as a waiter in an Italian restaurant in Soho.

We are tossing up which area will be the most beneficial to live in.
    I have tried to research as much as possible, but am still feeling a little lost!

On one hand I have heard that Kowloon is a lot cheaper and better value for money. However, my concern is being isolated from other expats and the social scene.

I am not too fussy, as long as the apartment is safe (don't want anywhere too old as I have anxiety since the CHCH earthquakes) and clean.

I am given a 9k allowance, however would be willing to spend up to 15k.

Thanks!

Given your accommodation budget, I would definitely advise somewhere Kowloon side. 15K is not going to go very far island side. Hong Kong is fairly small, and most places are a short ride away (either on the very efficient public transport system or in the relatively inexpensive taxis). Try looking in the Hung Hom / Whampoa Gardens areas. Alternatively Olympic in West Kowloon would be a decent option.

Hong Kong doesn't suffer from earthquakes (at least as far as I am aware!) so no worries on that front.

parryhotter likes this.

Thank you jmbf for your fast reply! What's the expat community like in these areas? I could probably spend a lot more, however I have initially budgeted <15k with the intention of saving and travelling!

What are taxis like in comparison to buses/trains?

Also, I hear it is relatively expensive to get set up when we initially arrive. Do you have any tips on limiting the costs e.g bartering with agents, avoiding agents all together etc?

Thanks!!

While there is overnight transport between HK island and Kowloon (tunnel and mini buses), it does take longer and depending where you end up, the waiter might not be getting home until around 2am if you are living in Kowloon. But, Ho Man Tin might be a pain to get to from HK island if the school is not near a MTR station and you need to be there by 8am.

Apart from a few select areas such as Soho, Central, parts of the Mid-levels and Discovery Bay, you won't find a large percentage of expats living in the local area. Don't let this put you off however as HK is generally a very easy city to live in as a foreigner.

Taxis start at $22 while buses, minibuses and trains will generally be less than $10 unless you are crossing between the island and Kowloon. A taxi typically costs me around $100 between Central and my place in Olympic (using Cross-Harbour tunnel). Not sure about the night bus situation, maybe someone else here can comment.

Regarding renting, you will typically have to put down 3 and 1/2 months rent upon signing the contract (2 months advance, 1 month security deposit and 1/2 month in commission to the agents). You can search online for direct contacts with HK landlords, thereby bypassing the agent commission and maybe getting a better deal, but if doing this please ensure that you sign a full and proper rental agreement and check all the terms and conditions carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi92:
    Hi guys!

I am moving to HK from little old NZ, with my partner in two weeks time.

I will be working as a teacher in Kowloon, Ho Man Tin,working 8-4pm, and my partner will be working 5pm-1am as a waiter in an Italian restaurant in Soho.

We are tossing up which area will be the most beneficial to live in.
    I have tried to research as much as possible, but am still feeling a little lost!

On one hand I have heard that Kowloon is a lot cheaper and better value for money. However, my concern is being isolated from other expats and the social scene.

I am not too fussy, as long as the apartment is safe (don't want anywhere too old as I have anxiety since the CHCH earthquakes) and clean.

I am given a 9k allowance, however would be willing to spend up to 15k.

Thanks!
    I have another idea. It's not my business but it would seem to me to not be an ideal situation for one of you to be working 8am-4pm and the other 5pm-1am.

What is your partner's visa situation? Is their salary worth the hassle? Are they being sponsored by the restaurant. (Seems unlikely)

You might save the cost of your partner's salary simply by living Kowloon side. No need for a helper!

Are you married? I note your use of the word 'partner'.

I would try and find somewhere on hk island for the first year until you guys settle in. I suggest sheung wan. Its walkable distance/short taxi ride for your partner. Since you work normal office hours, it will be an easier commute for you compared to your partner who be finishing at 1-2am. Food and beverage in HK is a tough role, long hours and constantly busy especially for decent restaurants.

Last edited by WMDS; 15-07-2014 at 10:50 PM.

Actually, if your partner has no visa issues, teaching English part time would be a much better income earner than waiting tables (and should work out better logistically as well).

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi92:
    Do you have any tips on limiting the costs e.g bartering with agents
    Sadly agents only accept money!

I agree with WMDS, a Hong Kong side place might be easier on your partner's working hours.
    chingleutsch likes this.

Hi there, thanks for your reply

I am on a professional visa, however, my partner has found it particularly difficult to find a job which sponsers a working visa. Due to being unqualified, a lot of the jobs he has looked at are given to locals. He is well trained in the airline industry, but has found these all require Cantonese speaking applicants.

No, we are not married so unfortunately he cannot get a visa as my dependent.

The goal Is for him to work in a restaurant for a little while until he can find something more desirable that will give him a working visa. He is currently on a workig holiday visa.

Less than ideal circumstances I agree, but thought the $ may be worth it to set up with. Luckily we will have Monday nights off together, all day Sunday and Saturday until 5pm.

Any advice on finding jobs that support work visas?
    Also my wage is only 23k and allowance 9k so would this be realistic if my partner chose not to work?

Thanks!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast