Like Tree4Likes

Advice on areas for families with commute to Mong Kok

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice on areas for families with commute to Mong Kok

Hi. My husband is just finalising a contract that will see us moving to HK later in the year. He will be working in Mong Kok. We are starting to look at areas to live and really need some advice please!

We have a 2.5yo daughter and another on the way, plus 2dogs. Housing allowance is looking around hkd30,000.

We would prefer a more rural area but with an expat community, discovery bay doesn't really take my fancy tho. Ideally looking for a house, but a dog friendly apartment may work too, my husband doesn't really want more then a 30min commute.

Was looking at Sai Kung but not sure on transport links? Would be nice not to need a car!

Also need to think of proximity to preschools and schools... So much to think about!

Anyone any thoughts? Much appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

If you are planning on living in the New Territories with young children, then plan on getting a car. Waiting at bus stops with toddlers and a mountain of baby paraphernalia in summer is no fun for anyone, and you will find it takes a surprising amount of time to get places.

If a 30 minute commute to Mongkok is required, I don't think Sai Kung works at all. It is pretty hard to think of anywhere rural that is so close to Mongkok and near public transport and kindergartens.

I think the requirements are competing somewhat!

Saying that, Mongkok east MTR is on the Eastrail line which has greener areas within grasp. Maybe not so expatty though.

Sent from my SGP511 using GeoClicks mobile app

Last edited by justjoe86; 20-07-2014 at 11:19 PM.

You might have to be flexible with some of your requirements.

Perhaps a village house in the Shatin / Tai Wai area?

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Welcome to HK!
    I've lived in the NT for 4 years (three in Tai Po and one in Sha Tin).
    Being on the East Rail MTR line will be very helpful for your husband's commute. Some communities that would work would be Hong Luk Yuen (large range of prices, community feel, neighborhood, nice school located within the compound, good shuttle bus service, good grocery store within walking/shuttle service distance, even within that budget, a small yard would be likely).
    We lived in the Beverly Hills and brought our dog with us. While we didn't have a yard, we had lots of places to walk her which was great. Our kids could walk outside and ride bikes, throw balls etc. Prices have gone up at BH but you should at least look at it. I'd suggest a car living there - we did it without and with a car and having a car made a HUGE difference.

There are a lot more places in the NT so take some time to look around before making a decision. We have a lovely real estate agent who is an expat and lives in a village house across from Hong Luk Yuen so she knows the area quite well. If you'd like her contact info, let me know.

Finally, if you need any advice on bringing pets, let me know. We brought our big Airedale from the US and did it all ourselves which saved us a bunch of money and we are so glad we did.

Amy

HK_Katherine and justjoe86 like this.

Hong Lok Yuen actually is a good suggestion if they are willing to accept a commuting time of approx an hour each way.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

I'm not quite sure what 30K would get you these days, but an area like Kowloon Tong/ Yau Yat Tsuen could be worth exploring - much lower density housing than most urban areas, a good variety of schools, and transport connections to everywhere.

Another thing to consider is that many high rise blocks/ estates have podium levels which are virtually private parklands. Before I moved to my current place (for work), I lived in one of 5 tower blocks set on top of a bus terminus and major shopping mall, with gardens, badminton courts, barbecue area, shaded seating, kids' play area, lots of space for dogs and jogging.
    And of course newer, ritzier places also have swimming pools, gyms and kids' playrooms indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    Hong Lok Yuen actually is a good suggestion if they are willing to accept a commuting time of approx an hour each way.
    I was about to suggest HLY and/or a nearby TaiPo-TaiMeiTuk village of some sort (there are so many).

I'm pretty sure HLY to MongKok can be done much quicker than 1h though....

Definitely look at Yau Yat Tsuen, lots of low rise buildings, many dog owners.

Skyhook likes this.

30k won't get you anything in Hong Lok Yuen. The village houses nearby would be around that much but you'd be better off with a car. Hot weather or wet weather getting to bus stops etc would not be any fun.

Tai Po works for the dog/house/ rural area/expat community though. Maybe look at at complexes on Tai Po road area like Savannah Gardens which should be less than 30k, shuttle bus 5 minutes to Tai Po MTR, all shops there and husband would have a 30 minute MTR journey to Mongkok East station.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast