Like Tree5Likes

Renting in Macau compared to Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Helecopter is arounf $5000. But seriously just try to live there and commute back and forth for a week. I doubt it is practical or enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Me:
    Helecopter is arounf $5000. But seriously just try to live there and commute back and forth for a week. I doubt it is practical or enjoyable.
    I know a family who moved from HK to Macau.

They have 2 kids.

The kids go to international school in Macau and the wife got a job there.

The husband works in HK (In Shun Tak Center). he commutes 3 times a week: Ie Monday (stay over in HK the night - paid by employer), Wednesday (back and forth) and Thursday.(back and forth)
    On Friday he works from home unless he has to attend meetings.

They love it.

He used to commute an hour in HK (from Ma On Shan to Shun Tak), He commtes now 1h15 (they live ~10mn from Macau ferry). While there is a cost (ie Ferry), the difference in rent makes up for it big time apparently (not to mention the fact that Macau flatare usually much bigger than their HK counterpart, altho that is sadly changing).

Not for everyone but they have now been doing that for 6 years so it works for some.

Wow, well I guess that is a pretty unique working and living arrangement. I couldn't do it. How is the quality of the schooling there I wonder? Might be cheaper but probably not as good as in HK International?

The International School (Canadian curriculum) is top notch, although because Macau is such a small place it doesn't have the extensive campus(es) that HKIS has.
    Macau Anglican College has also shaped up well.
    Sam Yuk (spelling?) is English medium, but let's just say it wouldn't be first choice for a child of mine.

*The* local schools are Pui Ching, Santa Rosa or Sacred Heart for girls, and Wah Yan/ Don Bosco or St Joseph's for boys.

Is "normal" residential real estate in the Macau SAR generally cheaper than in the Hong Kong SAR? E.g a 1000 sq ft 2 bedroom apartment in Macau Peninsula vs residential areas of HK Island?

This article from late 2014 seems to suggest otherwise: http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_d...=20140410&fc=7

Macau and HK prices are worlds apart, i would guesstimate probably 50% cheaper in Macau for similar size apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Is "normal" residential real estate in the Macau SAR generally cheaper than in the Hong Kong SAR? E.g a 1000 sq ft 2 bedroom apartment in Macau Peninsula vs residential areas of HK Island?

This article from late 2014 seems to suggest otherwise: Red-hot Macau forces investors to look at HK - The Standard
    Macau has seen a sharp increase in prices but remains a lot more affordable than HK.

Taipa will typically be more expensive than Macau itself (aside from a few areas which are very pricey, ie The One for example)

Will banks in Hong Kong lend regarding a mortgage on a property in Macau? After all, the MOP is pegged to the HKD so there is no inherent FX basis risk.

Has anyone tried getting HSBC HK to lend against a Macau property?

Also, I presume Hong Kong Permanent Residents are treated as "foreigners" in the Macau SAR with regards to 10% additional buyers stamp duty?

Last edited by dossier; 10-06-2015 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Will banks in Hong Kong lend regarding a mortgage on a property in Macau? After all, the MOP is pegged to the HKD so there is no inherent FX basis risk.

Has anyone tried getting HSBC HK to lend against a Macau property?

Also, I presume Hong Kong Permanent Residents are treated as "foreigners" in the Macau SAR with regards to 10% additional buyers stamp duty?
    Hsbc used to work ..u would have to ask now if still do.
    Yes foreigners.

Thanks - I will ask HSBC HK. Is HSBC active in Macau from a retail banking perspective?