Service Apartment vs Rented flat for 9 months lease

Closed Thread

Service Apartment vs Rented flat for 9 months lease

Before I received acceptance for my postgraduate studies in HKU, I was looking forward to my 9 months stay in HK starting from 1 Sep 2014. The nightmare started when I tried to look for a decent place conducive for studies. I can't travel to HK till 20 Aug the earliest. I have currently two offers on hand for service apartment (which look very nice on pictures) but I am very hesitating to accept any due to the many negative feedback in the reviews on service apartment. My anxiety is building up as I have less than a month to decide on accommodation. Hope someone with similar dilemma before can enlighten me on this.

1. Should I book any service apartment based on the photos alone as I am not in HK to view?
    2. The fully furnished rental flats seem much cheaper than service apartments and have more choices, but will it be difficult to get a 9 months lease? And what is the pros and cons comparing the two?
    3. If I were to choose to go down on 20 Aug to HK and start to look for an accommodation, is it possible to get one before my term starts on 1 Sep?
    4. I have a budget of <10k for a single room/flat with shower facility. I don't mind to share flat but hopefully not more than 1 flatmate.

Thanks in advance for any advice given. -

As I'm sure many others will tell you, DON'T sign any contract or make any booking for a serviced apartment / furnished flat without viewing it in person first.

10 days or so should be more than enough time to scout out a suitable place and get everything signed and sorted.

1. No
    2. Rented flat - you need to deal with a landlord; deal with any problems such as leaking toilet (for example); furnished might mean table, chair and bed, but no cushions, sheets or plates.
    3. Maybe; if not, you just stay in a guest house / hostel for an extra week or so. Landlords will probably charge higher rent for a shorter contract, because it means they have to pay an agent commission again after 9 months to find a new tenant.
    4. Maybe look for shared flats, but don't pay anything until you have seen the place, and be careful or paying money to someone who is subletting.

Quote Originally Posted by John S:
    Before I received acceptance for my postgraduate studies in HKU, I was looking forward to my 9 months stay in HK starting from 1 Sep 2014. The nightmare started when I tried to look for a decent place conducive for studies. I can't travel to HK till 20 Aug the earliest. I have currently two offers on hand for service apartment (which look very nice on pictures) but I am very hesitating to accept any due to the many negative feedback in the reviews on service apartment. My anxiety is building up as I have less than a month to decide on accommodation. Hope someone with similar dilemma before can enlighten me on this.

1. Should I book any service apartment based on the photos alone as I am not in HK to view?
    2. The fully furnished rental flats seem much cheaper than service apartments and have more choices, but will it be difficult to get a 9 months lease? And what is the pros and cons comparing the two?
    3. If I were to choose to go down on 20 Aug to HK and start to look for an accommodation, is it possible to get one before my term starts on 1 Sep?
    4. I have a budget of <10k for a single room/flat with shower facility. I don't mind to share flat but hopefully not more than 1 flatmate.

Thanks in advance for any advice given. -
    Have you tried HKU dorms?