Planing on moving to Wanchai quickly - need help !!

Planing on moving to Wanchai quickly - need help !!

Hello,

i am planing on moving to Wanchai, i am starting to work (hopefully) soon in Gloucester Road.

I was looking into some of the offers online, at gohome.hk - hongkonghomes - squarefoot.

Actually i didnt really find what i was looking for. I got recommended "The Zenith" which i like a lot for the pictures and informations i found.

Problem is, i just want to spend about 15K to 18K HKD a month. 2 bedroom - UNfurnished.

Do you have any ideas if its possible to get an appartment in that price range in the zenith. What is the best way to get one? Looking into agencys near the Zenith itself?

Do you have any other recommendations for similar places in WanChai?

I wouldnt need as much facilities as the zenith is offering. It looks quite fency in the facilities i wouldnt actually need that. Thing is the bathroom should be nice, i am quite picky in bathrooms. Flooring should be "wooden" style.
    Would be happy to get some informations.

Cheers and thanks

Best way is to walk around and there are lots of agents everywhere... You can definitely find a decent 2bdrm for that price. A friend got a 2 bdrm, 600sq ft for 11K recently in the Star St area, the flat is OK but it's in an old building.

I think Star St/PP3 it's a very convenient area, there are a few nicer buildings around though not as new as Zenith. Able building on St Francis Courtyard seems OK and they have 2 bdrms in that price range. Brilliant court is also a newish building near the Zenith on Kennedy st... J residence is also nice but may be over your budget. Li Chit garden isn't bad either...

Walking around is best...

thanks for the quick reply, i will note those areas and ressorts you mentioned.

Just to clarify ... The Zenith would be my first choice. Just not sure if i can get the prices down, which i found in the internet. Or let me ask in a different way:

How are the price differences between local "agencies" which i can find close to the buildings i like and those i find on the common property pages?

It's not the agency prices, it's the landlords. Most of the time you'll go around the agencies and find you're talking about the same flat. Nevertheless, it pays to check around for that hidden gem...

With a newer development such as Zenith, you're unlikely to find a big price difference between similar flats and it's also harder to negotiate down but it doesn't cost anything to offer a lower price. If you're on a budget, you should always make an offer at least 20% below what they ask and not appear to be in a hurry to rent. The agent gets a commission of a half month rent so they're not eager to give you a bargain. If they know you want it, they'll relay that to the owner.

It really all depends on the market and if the flat appears to be going quickly or not. Most landlord don't really want the place sitting empty for more than a month...

Thanks again.

I might get a chance to look for some agencies on monday.

i have to bother you people again.

I went to my job interview on Monday, it took the whole day even they told me before it will just take an hour. So i guess it went pretty good.

Now i didnt get it done to look for some places to actually live once i get the job finally and the working permit.

My question is a little bit extended now. I would have to work in Wanchai and i am not sure anymore if i will find a nice appartment in Wanchai for my possible allowance - about 15.000 hkd ...

What other places you would recommend- near to wanchai so the "traveling" time and costs will be low?

Last edited by nalick; 28-08-2008 at 04:53 PM.

It always depends on how you define nice. I think you could find something nice in Wanchai for that price but it will be small(500sq ft or less in a newer building). Li Chit Garden might be an option or Brilliant Court.

Otherwise, you need to go to at least Tin Hau to the East to get lower prices and Sai Yin Pun/Sheung Wan to the West.

Other place to consider that's very convenient to Wanchai is Ap Lei Chau. South Horizon and Sham Wan should offer something around that price and they are nice with clubhouse facilities.

some people i know that live in Wan Chai, rent a 2 bedroom apartment for aprox 8K per month. The building from the outside looks old but inside its nice, these buildings dont have any facilites but they are very convenient and cheap for wan chai, just behind the church.

Best thing still is to go to the agents in Wan Chai and ask them to show you apartment, you can always find something, forget about the internet website, they are usually not up to date.