Like Tree18Likes

How about living in Park Island (Ma Wan)?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Last bus from the airport leaves at 0:30 to Ma Wan. So at night you just take a taxi. As Ma Wan is halfway between the Airport and Central it's not too bad. And basically that's the same anywhere in HK, the last Airport Express train leaves from the airport at 00:48 so after that you would also have to take a taxi to get to where you live anywhere in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by surie:
    Thank you, Big Rocky. I just apply to The Ma Wan Network on FB.
    make sure you become friends with the guy who runs the facebook group. he kicks people out of the group for no reason

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardstorm:
    Last bus from the airport leaves at 0:30 to Ma Wan. So at night you just take a taxi. As Ma Wan is halfway between the Airport and Central it's not too bad. And basically that's the same anywhere in HK, the last Airport Express train leaves from the airport at 00:48 so after that you would also have to take a taxi to get to where you live anywhere in HK.
    There are night bus services from the airport to a few places - but it seems you are out of luck for night buses to Ma Wan.

Hong Kong International Airport

I have visited Park Island and liked it a lot. As a single guy working in Sheung Wan I still think its very suitable. Easy to get to and like others have said the expats are really pretty cool over there from what I've seen. Not at all like the boring type on DB who are mainly Americans, the Park Island xpats are more mixed. Beach side cafes and bars seem OK. The facilities are the 5-star hotel quality. Very nice pools and outdoor areas. And you will get way better size of apartments and high quality furnishings there. They have property agents by the bus terminal and also by the ma wan village. Overall very good value and very visible. Did not notice any humidity. As for airport connections, most times when you fly or land it will be between 6am and midnight, so using the airport bus is ideal. If not use the taxi. Also as others have said, it is kind of an island but is now fully connected to the highway so fine for car access to park island if needed for taxi, ambulance, delivery vehicles etc.

Does key swapping happen there?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardstorm:
    I pass the exit to Ma Wan on my way home from the airport in a cab (well, I guess most people do!) and I'd guess you are looking at HKD100 or less. It's really convenient for the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I pass the exit to Ma Wan on my way home from the airport in a cab (well, I guess most people do!) and I'd guess you are looking at HKD100 or less. It's really convenient for the airport.
    Any idea if regular taxis can enter that area?
    I believe some of those areas require special permits ..

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Nevermind, found the answer myself
    Welcome to Ma Wan Park - Transportation

The road connecting Ma Wan Island from Tsing Ma Bridge is a restricted road managed by Government; only vehicles with valid permits issued by Transport Department are allowed except the followings:
    Coach bus: Daily 10:00am to 4:00pm (For details, please refer to “Form 2” and its “Notes for Application for Access of Bus to Ma Wan Park”)
    Urban taxi: 24 hours
    Goods vehicle: Daily 10:00am to 4:00pm

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Yes they can. But there is a fee to enter (not that much if I recall). I had a taxi take me there once by accident (!) and he was most annoyed he had to pay the fee just to turn around and go out again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Me:
    Easy to get to and like others have said the expats are really pretty cool over there from what I've seen. Not at all like the boring type on DB who are mainly Americans, the Park Island xpats are more mixed.
    I just have to call this out. What a load of rubbish. Seemingly written by someone who has never spent much time in either Park Island or DB.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks