Poor Student Looking for a Serviced Apartment

Poor Student Looking for a Serviced Apartment

Does anybody know of a place in the Central/Wanchai/North Point area for around 6000-7000 HKD? I'm going to HKU for an exchange and I need a service apartment from September to February. Nothing fancy, just a studio with bathroom, tv and internet will be fine. Cleanliness is essential.

Should be a fair bit available in the 7K range near HKU.

Have you spoken to the university about options?

Well, I want to be near CWB for the convenience factor. Central will be ok too. I don't particularly want to live near the school because all my friends will be in the CWB area.

HKU to CWB is very easy & direct on the #23 bus... the cheap accommodation does tend to be near the Uni.

Wink

You can't find a service apartment in the Central/Wanchai/North Point area for $7K, apart from the W Studios room, which you will not like. I think you have to increase your budget to $8 to $10K.

Service Apartments come with hidden costs. I discovered that I had to pay additional for broadband ($500), electricity ($1K), water ($200), stamp fees ($1K) and laundry ($40 per wash). These add on costs are non-negotiable and another source of income for them.

Since you are on a budget, I suggest you take a $5 - 6K leased flat (6-month contract) instead cos it will be cheaper and larger. You can also manage your own utility and phone bills.

To find a flat use the GoHome search engine.

There, I've done one for you:
    http://www.gohome.com.hk/english/res...500&district=1

Once you get here just stay in a hotel or hostel while you look for an apartment.

Don't be too fussy and you'll find your flat either immediately or within days.

Last edited by sghkcn; 16-03-2005 at 01:54 PM.

Hi, I just returned from exchange at HKU so you can bombard me with questions!! Are you a Postgrad or Undergrad? I stayed at one of the University Halls, and to be honest, it was so much fun and definately a better exchange experience than if you weren't living in Halls. But of course you'll get more privacy on your own and it can be good living in the heart of the city.

Anyway, email me and I'll give you the low-down on life at HKU! =)

My friend used to live on Third Street, Sai Yin Pun (Western) which is near the HKU. Her rent was HK5k per month. Its easy to get to CWB to meet friends - it depends what your priority is, cheaper accommodation and travel to HKU or live in CWB and travel to HKU.

Thanks thanks...

I guess Serviced Apartments appealed to me because I figure everthing was including. I'm not fussy about cooking or anything and just wanted a room and a bathroom.

My gf is also in the CWB area working (she's not staying with me) so I thought it would just be a lot easier. I guess based on what everybody's saying there's no way I could afford CWB or Central. Does anybody know about the YWCA in the Pokfulam area? They're listing as 6.5K per month. Is that a pain if I wanted to travel to CWB each night for dinner?

The problem with a 6 month lease is that I don't know if I'll be staying beyond January. So I'm only committed to 4 months in HK right now.

Again, thank you all for your help!

http://www.geoexpat.com/classifieds/...hp?product=856

Here's one if you're interested. Seems to be close to the Uni.